PDA

View Full Version : Filter press orientation/plumbing

Diesel Pro
04-17-2014, 02:46 PM
I have the wesfab 7" short stack pneumatic press. It works well for me but I have to question the orientation of the pump and plumbing.

The syrup enters the lower port of the pump gets drawn up and through then drops down to the filter stack. To me having the pump reversed would make more sense. Have the pump feed at the top and exit at the bottom for a straight horizontal run to the stack.

The exit pipe for the filtered syrup also seems strange. It exits then elbows 90° to a stand pipe. To me it would be nice to have everything gravity drain from the filter stack wouldn't it? The way it is now, the entire filtered side port through the stack plus the standpipe and the first bit of hose cannot be effectively evacuated.

Is there a reason (aside from compact packaging) that the plumbing is oriented like this?

maple flats
04-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Can you post a picture of how it is now?

Russell Lampron
04-17-2014, 07:11 PM
The pneumatic pump needs to draw the syrup in from the bottom to function properly. It has check balls in it to keep the syrup from going the other way. As far as the exit goes you can plumb it the way that you want it. Mine just comes out to a 90* elbow and I have that pointed to the side and slightly down with a barb fitting on it for the discharge hose.

Diesel Pro
04-18-2014, 12:02 PM
It's really surprising how little there is online for pics and specs on equipment. I tried to find something online, but struck out. I'll see about getting a pic of mine. I think I'll alter the discharge to exit horizontally at a down angle as described. Then it should evacuate the entire clean side plumbing.

If the pump has to be that way that's fine I guess.

I like the pneumatic pump because I can leave it run a bit and keep pushing out that last bit of finished product without fear of wrecking the pump.

Russell Lampron
04-18-2014, 06:52 PM
It's really surprising how little there is online for pics and specs on equipment. I tried to find something online, but struck out. I'll see about getting a pic of mine. I think I'll alter the discharge to exit horizontally at a down angle as described. Then it should evacuate the entire clean side plumbing.

If the pump has to be that way that's fine I guess.

I like the pneumatic pump because I can leave it run a bit and keep pushing out that last bit of finished product without fear of wrecking the pump.

My press originally had a hand pump on it and my jury rigged plumbing to attach the pump isn't something picture worthy but it works.