PDA

View Full Version : Local suppliers

LittleGuy
01-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Anyone know of ant local suppliers in the Grenville area.

Just starting out and in need of supplies.

Anywhere to find used equipment?

Shipping across the border could get expensive.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks

HanginAround
01-08-2007, 12:07 PM
I don't know where you are exactly, but here is a list from the OMSPA website:

http://www.ontariomaple.com/directory/equipment-dealers.html

I also know of Atkinson, near Orillia I think:

www.atkinsonmaple.com

Lapierre has a warehouse full of used stuff in Waterloo, Quebec, might make a good Saturday outing, call ahead, so you know someone will be around. Tough to get someone that can speak English there sometimes though.

ennismaple
01-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Check the Ontario Maple Syrup Producer's website - it lists a lot of the suppliers in Ontario.

http://www.ontariomaple.com/directory/equipment-dealers.html

We get most of our supplies from Marion Paul - she's northwest of Perth in Watson's Corners. Whatever they don't carry we order from Atkinson's Maple Syrup which is just outside Orillia.

http://www.atkinsonmaple.com/

We have a few hundred used buckets still piled in the corner of our sugar house and just as many spiles for them. If you're interested in buying them for a fair price send me a PM. We're located northwest of Perth.

HanginAround
01-08-2007, 12:17 PM
LOL, there's an echo in here, not so unusual that people post at the same time, but funny how similar our posts are.

Teuchtar
01-19-2007, 12:25 AM
For all the sugaring supplies you could ever dream of, why not visit Dominion and Grimm in Montreal. Thats gotta be way closer than importing. Their place is on Marconi street in the east end, right off the Trans Canada.
You can pick through their showroom all day, then choose a nice shiny new evaporator .
They've got all kinds of packaging supplies too. Free Advice for the asking.
And service in both official languages.
I used to work at Bombardier (MLW) just down the street. I'd pop into D&G a couple of times a year at lunchtime. I was in heaven.

cheesegenie
01-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Right on, I was there for the first time last winter, like a kid in a candy store. Just to add, they have a good on-line catalogue.
http://www.domgrimm.com/

timbers
01-19-2007, 04:26 PM
You could also check out ontariofarmer.com > In the classified section. This time of year they seem to alway have someone trying to sell all their sugaring equipment. Ian

BryanEx
02-20-2010, 02:59 PM
This is a really old thread I know but I'm in the same area and went through the same process. Jamison-Campbell Feed in Monkland, Ontario just off highway 138 between Cornwall and Highway 417 is not only a distributor for CDL & Dominion & Grim but can also order in anything from Atkinson's with far less shipping charges than ordering direct. In season they have all the popular items in stock but can get pretty much anything any time. The only manufacturer they don't seem to have access to is Leader which is too bad because there are a couple of thermometers they make that no one else seems to have and that I need.

CastorMaple
03-13-2010, 07:25 AM
BryanEx,

Thanks for the update. An old post, but being a new guy I could use the shopping tip. I'm an hour NW of Monkland, so I may take a trip down there today while the sap isn't flowing. Around here, RONA in Embrun carries buckets/lids and spiles, but that's it and I'm starting to dream big...

BryanEx
03-14-2010, 08:07 AM
No problem at all CastorMaple... glad it helps someone. Just keep in mind that they run on typical Feed Store hours Mon-Fri 8~5 and Sat 8~12 so that you're not wasting a trip. Stopped in myself yesterday and they had sold out their 500+ buckets, all their evaporators, and had taken a bunch of orders for more stuff but new inventory shows up each week.

Russell Lampron
03-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Bryan it is good to see that someone is using the search function and updating an old thread instead of making a new on on the same topic. There is some good info in the old threads.

CastorMaple
03-15-2010, 07:30 PM
BryanEx...yep they were out of most things, but I got some bottles, and a few odds and ends...and a nice drive on a Saturday afternoon with the family. I'll give them a call later this week and see if they're getting any more buckets and I will most likely order some stuff for next year when the season winds down. Thanks again for updating the thread.

KenWP
03-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Bryan it is good to see that someone is using the search function and updating an old thread instead of making a new on on the same topic. There is some good info in the old threads.

What 50 threads on the same page about the same thing is to much or what. I had to search a old thred lately and it was so far back it wasn't funny.

BryanEx
03-15-2010, 07:50 PM
I was told they were expecting more buckets in this week and hopefully another small evaporator or two. Easiest way to go is to collect the catalogues from each supplier, browse them at home, then order through Jamison. They have CDL catalogues there, not sure about Dominion & Grimm, Atkinson and Leader catalogues you can order direct from their web sites.

Glad bumping this thread up for this year has helped out someone and hopefully others know where you can go to touch, feel, see, or otherwise play with all those sugurin toys.

BryanEx
08-02-2010, 08:56 AM
For anyone in the Eastern Ontario region... Jamison-Campbell Feed in Monkland is planning on doing a maple open house sometime in November. Once I find out confirmed dates and what to expect I'll update this thread. It would be cool to meet a few other Maple Traders from the area.

BryanEx
10-30-2010, 11:09 AM
For anyone in the Eastern Ontario region... Jamison-Campbell Feed in Monkland is planning on doing a maple open house sometime in November.
This has been confirmed for November 6th starting at 8 am. Supposed to have some company reps there along with a few different arches up and running and of course, various specials on supplies.

cheesegenie
11-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I hope to go. I was there the other day and the boys gave me an invite sheet.
On there it says 10AM to 2PM. Might see you there, I am a short old guy with
a scruff of a white beard, likely wearing a CAT hat.

maple flats
11-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Cheesegenie, you just described me except I do not have a CAT hat.

BryanEx
11-01-2010, 07:47 PM
I'll still be around by 10 for sure. Best pic I can come up with is attached and I'll be with my vertically challenged wife (who really wants to talk cheese btw).

cheesegenie
11-03-2010, 06:52 AM
ok good. Looks like you got a lot more snow Sunday morning than we did.

BryanEx
11-03-2010, 08:07 PM
ok good. Looks like you got a lot more snow Sunday morning than we did.

LOL... far more than I wanted or expected.

Rockwood
11-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Did anyone make it out to Jamison-Campbell Feed's maple open house?

Your impressions?

BryanEx
11-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Given that I don't know of any other place in my local area where I can touch, feel, or otherwise poke at maple equipment in real life I'll say it was great. That being said... they either got a late start or under-estimated set up time because they weren't ready when I got there nor when I left around 10:30. It was apparent they had lots planned but I think I missed much of it. Perhaps cheesegenie was there closer to noon and had a better showing. I do hope they make it an annual event but next time I will plan on showing up later when things are in full swing.

cheesegenie
11-07-2010, 04:21 PM
I will agree with Bryan, was great. We never have anything like this around here, so a thumbs up to the boys at Jamieson's. I got there around 10:30
or so and stayed until noon. Enjoyed looking at everything running into a few buddies, and the free hamburger and drink topped it off. That evaporator
that was running would be too big for me, $20,000. , would turn a hobby into
a job. Looked for you Bryan, no luck, some guys must have wondered why I was looking at them. Maybe next year.

Rockwood
11-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I too was there between 10:00 to 12:00. I agree they seam to be a little disorganized. I did manage to pick up a shinny new bottler, syrup bottles and a few accessories. All in all a good day though.. Look forward to next year, they will most likely have some of the bugs sorted out..

BryanEx
11-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Looked for you Bryan, no luck, some guys must have wondered why I was looking at them. Maybe next year.
LOL... yep. I came to find out you are not the only one that wears a Cat hat. I now have a new acquaintance from Apple Hill. :lol:

Look forward to next year, they will most likely have some of the bugs sorted out..
Did they say they were planning on making it an annual event? I sure hope so because the timing would be perfect for me and seeing all the stuff "for real" really helps with planning my maple business (even if I had to pass on that large RO system they had).

cheesegenie
11-07-2010, 06:08 PM
That is funny. I didn't hear anything about next year, but maybe.

farmall h
11-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Rockwood, A liitle off topic but is that car in your avatar a cutless, skylark or...

Rockwood
11-09-2010, 05:33 PM
It's a Canadian 66 chevelle.. 350 small block 450 plus hp, not a stock thing under the hood, th350, olds 373 read end, headers on back are 3" exhaust, front dish brakes. I rescued it from the wrecker some 30 plus years ago.

Drag raced for 6 years, then rebuilt 19 years ago.

It's now showing it's age again, time to do another frame off or sell..

ontario guy
02-02-2011, 08:46 AM
I was just at a new supplier near casselman (near Ottawa) and he has a nice selection. He has a 2x4, 2x6 and a 2x8 on display ready for purchase.

He is a super nice guy, i told him i would pass on his name to the trader. So mention my name if you would. (i was close to buying that 2x6 )

Eric Belisle
Phone: (613)764-2289 Fax: (613)764-7439
belislesugarbush@yahoo.ca
http://www.lsbilodeau.com/equipement-erabliere-chauffage-usinage-ventilation.shtml

Mark Lamothe

BryanEx
02-02-2011, 05:48 PM
I was just at a new supplier near casselman (near Ottawa) and he has a nice selection.
I found his web site while chasing down links but have yet to go visit. Does he have all the usual supplies in stock as well (filters, bottles, hydrometers, etc) or is it mostly equipment?

- Bryan

Buckshot
02-02-2011, 06:48 PM
We bought our D&G evaporator from Camp-Can-Aqua near Bancroft ON. I don't see them mentioned anywhere in maple trader so they may not be well known in Ontario. They operate a youth camp (hence the name) but their property also has a 3000 tap maple bush on tubing. They are a dealer for D&G and also sell other supplies such as bottles, tubing, finishing supplies etc. Last year we bought our buckets/lids/spiles from them, and they were great people to talk to. Thought I would pass on their link. You can view their catalogue on-line at their website.
www.canaqua.ca - home page
http://www.canaqua.ca/PDFs/catalog2010-large.pdf - catalogue

BryanEx
02-02-2011, 06:54 PM
I've looked at their site several times but could never find anything about maple syrup. Because of your post I looked extra hard and found the link on the lower right side which also leads to the equipment section. Thanks for the tip.

Yellzee
02-05-2011, 11:58 PM
squirrrel creek farms near peterborough... lapierre stuff in good supply

halladaymaple
02-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Hi:

I have a maple bush in Leeds, near Athens. I purchase all my stuff from Don Dodds at springdale farms in Almonte. 256-4045. What are you looking for?

DArrell

BryanEx
09-15-2011, 06:54 PM
For anyone in the Eastern Ontario region... Jamison-Campbell Feed in Monkland is planning on doing a maple open house sometime in November. It would be cool to meet a few other Maple Traders from the area.
I just found out they are planning their second annual in October. You can visit this post for details or to ask questions;

http://www.sugarbush.info/classifieds2/maple-related-events/p72-all-things-maple-open-house.html

- Bryan