PDA

View Full Version : Mason jar syrup.

Cougar4
04-15-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm fairly new to sugaring and was wondering if I can my syrup in mason jars, should I put the jars in a water bath after to get them to seal like I normally would, like with canning vegetables? Do I still need to get the syrup up to temp first like I would if I were using plastic bottles? Any suggestion would be great. Thanks.

Marcus
04-15-2014, 04:38 PM
I do not do a water bath. Just heat jars in oven, heat filtered syrup to 190, fill, wipe threads, put on lid, and put on ring. Also heat lids in hot water.
Marcus Yoder

maplerookie
04-15-2014, 04:50 PM
I clean the jars to remove dust put them in boiling water to kill off any germs take em out ..put upside down on a towel to drain. . heat syrup to 185 add to jars and then wipe rim of jar put on sterilized lid seal turn on side roll a couple of times and then stand em up separated to allow heat to escape.

Run Forest Run!
04-15-2014, 05:10 PM
I clean the jars to remove dust put them in boiling water to kill off any germs take em out ..put upside down on a towel to drain. . heat syrup to 185 add to jars and then wipe rim of jar put on sterilized lid seal turn on side roll a couple of times and then stand em up separated to allow heat to escape.

Exactly what I do. I don't trust heating jars in the oven any more. They can crack or burst on you.

Loch Muller
04-15-2014, 05:12 PM
I put the syrup my family eats in mason jars and do it quite similar to maplerookie. I turn the entire jar upside down for a couple minutes, but the end result is the same (a sterilized lid) The syrup goes in hot enough to seal the jars as it cools so you don't need the water bath.

RollinsOrchards
04-16-2014, 10:15 AM
A water bath for syrup is a BAD idea. Bringing the syrup to a boil will create more Nitre.

Hot syrup + Hot jar = no problems.

I keep the syrup at 185* when bottling, maybe as high at 195* sometimes. I have a pot of boiling water and using tongs dip the glass jar into it immediately before filling. I hold the lid and ring in the boiling water for a few seconds while filling the jar. After the lid is applied I hold the jar upside down for a few seconds on it's trip to the cooling shelf.

With the fancy half pint glass bottles and plastic caps I don't heat the caps before applying to the bottle.

Ausable
04-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Everyone has their own way - but I see we are all close. No hot water bath or pressure cooker canning for maple syrup. We just have our finished maple syrup at 190F. Put the rigs and lids together in a sauce pan of water and bring to a boil and then shut off burner. We wash the mason jars and rinse place in sink and submerge in hot water. When canning - dump water from jar back into sink and place in sauce pan - fill with hot syrup to just below threads - grab a lid and ring with a pair of metal pinchers and place on jar and tighten - do not over tighten or could damage seal. We canned nine gallons of maple syrup just yesterday. ---Mike---

Cougar4
04-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all the help with this, I really appreciate it

NhShaun
01-19-2015, 06:04 AM
A little late to the party.. But i bottled about 2 gallons in 4 oz mason jars last year and it worked great! I just boiled the jars and lids for a few minutes. Then filled with hot syrup, sealed and put them Lid down on a table to cool. Pretty simple really. I will be going this route again this year, as i have over 200 newer style mason jars collected already. Now, to buy new lids... and oh yea, to start boiling sap!