PDA

View Full Version : Should I dump sap?

DoubleBrookMaple
04-14-2014, 06:43 PM
I expect another run after tomorrow night when I will have three freezing nights. I have some sap in 3 bulk collection tanks, and many buckets.
Should I dump all this sap tomorrow night? It will have been out during 3 days of warm weather ( High 60's).

Thanks,

Eric

maple maniac65
04-14-2014, 07:39 PM
if the frogs are not swimming in it and it can still go through a filter boil it and make some commercial that sells for around $2.00- 2.50/lb. This is how I have bought the extras in the sugarhouse the past 10 years. One year I made enough commercial to buy a filter press. And this was from sap that most sugarmakers would through out. My problem is the wind and chance of fire outside the sugarhouse. I have to shut down and dump 500 gallons of sap that is ion storage.

madmapler
04-14-2014, 07:59 PM
I'm just south of you. Yesterday I dumped 800+ gallons of 1.4 sap because I thought the syrup was too "off taste" Today I gave a sample to my buyer and he said it was good commercial and to keep making it. I threw away about $350. The sap itself does'nt smell all that great but its still coming out syrup. Dont know about 3 days though.

DoubleBrookMaple
04-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks...

Small time, very little sap, and don't want to blend it with the new stuff, so I think I will dump.

PerryW
04-14-2014, 09:36 PM
I plan on dumping any sap that ran since my last gather (on friday) tomorrow night (tuesday). Sap that sits around in 60+ weather will spoil in a day, so, in my opinion the spoiled sap would contaminate the fresh sap that runs on wednesday.

It's gonna be close though, I haven't heard the peepers but I saw frogs hoping across the road tonite on the way home.

madmapler
04-15-2014, 06:22 AM
I concentrated yesterdays sap overnight and boiled down a little on the stove just now and its definately "dirty sock" syrup. I'm dumping it and waiting for the colder weather.