Aaron Roy
04-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Be careful out there, the ticks are out over here

Revi
04-14-2014, 07:09 PM
I don't think they are out here yet.

gmcooper
04-14-2014, 08:57 PM
I have not seen any yet but expect they are out. As a kid growing up I never saw ticks anywhere, and I fished, hiked, played in the woods and fields all the time on the farm. Maybe 15 years ago I would start finding them end of April early May. Now we can't seem to finish maple season with out them.

Machinist67
04-14-2014, 09:58 PM
they are out here! I have already had 3 removed for me so far. I was hoping the deep cold was going to kill them!

Run Forest Run!
04-14-2014, 10:06 PM
I've never seen one in my entire life, but you guys are sure freaking me out. :o

PerryW
04-14-2014, 10:16 PM
I have not seen any yet but expect they are out. As a kid growing up I never saw ticks anywhere, and I fished, hiked, played in the woods and fields all the time on the farm. Maybe 15 years ago I would start finding them end of April early May. Now we can't seem to finish maple season with out them.

I hear you. It was about 15 years ago when I got my first tick on me.

regor0
04-14-2014, 10:57 PM
Yep, I had never seen one until about 5 years ago. Now they are getting thick. I'm ordering some guinea hens to see if I can at least thin them down in the yard.

CharlieVT
04-15-2014, 06:02 AM
Ticks are active in sourthern Vermont. I came home with one after pulling taps yesterday.
Ticks are a big deal. Careful out there.

http://www.cdc.gov/features/lymedisease/

Big_Eddy
04-15-2014, 09:42 AM
I've never seen one in my entire life, but you guys are sure freaking me out. :o
They have them Kingston area and out in Prince Edward County too. I got my first at home last year. We need more cold winters like this one to drive them back south!!

steve J
04-15-2014, 09:59 AM
I got bit for the first time 2 springs ago at a hunting camp in Arlington VT Since than I have been bitten twice more at my camp in Middlesex VT they are a real problem. I had hoped that this winter may have knock down the population some but guess not.

madmapler
04-15-2014, 11:01 AM
The ticks are so bad in my area that I simply check myself and remove them every time I come home from the woods. Its part of life around here now and I dont freak out about it at all anymore. Its not a question of if, its a question of how many. A friend of mine got in his truck after hunting one day and had hundreds of them on him. He had to strip down and brush them off and then vacuum out his truck afterward. Five years ago you hardly ever saw them.

handtapper
04-15-2014, 12:34 PM
I get covered when bird hunting in abandoned apple orchards, tuck pants in at socks and belt. Spray well and wear light colors. Every thirty or so steps I stop and flick off a dozen or so. Ever seen a dead deer up close? They are called deer ticks for a reason. The big problem is the government, testing and now the ticks carry lime

red maples
04-15-2014, 01:32 PM
We got it bad here... its always bad in the spring especially when we have a big snow pack (like this year) the mice flourish and so do the ticks. I have already pulled several off the dog, cat and myself. I haven't even been in the woods yet to pull taps.... And dead deer wow it gets to looking like the skin is alive under the fur creepy.

aurora1
04-16-2014, 05:32 PM
I actually got bit last summer while fly fishing in northern Maine and now have Lyme Disease. For the last 8 months I have been on high doses of antibiotics as well as herbals and supplements to combat the disease. It has been the most challenging experience of my life and believe me when I say you do not want it nor do you want your loved ones to become infected. I used to believe that a simple course of antibiotics would cure anyone of Lyme Disease. This is not the case. Many people are infected with co-infections as the ticks can carry more than just Borrelia burgdorferi. Prior to being infected, I used to be spend enormous amounts of time outside in the woods and fields and really wasn't worried about ticks even though I had pulled them off of me on countless occasions. Whether it was hunting, fishing, gardening, cutting lumber to mill, hiking...it didn't matter as long as it got me outside. After contracting this disease, my perspective has changed. At any rate, I apologize for the rant, I just know what it feels like to be on the other side now and know that prevention is the key. On a positive note, after stumbling upon this website I decided to tap my trees (45) for the first time this year and harvested just under 4 gallons of syrup. It was truly an enjoyable process...