PDA

View Full Version : Filter Issues (not filter press)

justlookingon
04-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Hello all, we are having syrup filtering issues. We have a 5 gallon filter tank; we hang a felt filter in this and put 2 synthetic filters inside of the felt. When our syrup is finished, we pour it directly into the filter tank and bottle it (180 minimum temp). The problem is our filters keep plugging up so we end up with a pint or more "stuck" in the filters or it takes so long the temperature drops below 180. Pulling the synthetics out when they plug is a messy process and kind of dangerous with hot syrup in it.

Would it be acceptable to let that syrup drain through the filters overnight if need be, and then bring the syrup back up to 180 and bottle it? Will be reintroduce niter bringing it up to that temperature? Will this darken the syrup? Thanks!

mountainvan
04-14-2014, 05:23 PM
You can let it go through at night and reheat to 180. No worries about niter and syrup will darken if over 200, maybe. Try adding a little filter aid next year. Maple guys sell it in smaller amounts.

325abn
04-14-2014, 05:57 PM
I suggest getting rid of the felt in favor of wool. Wool will still clog up but I have used both and the wool seem to do a better job.

justlookingon
04-14-2014, 06:05 PM
Where would we add the filter aid? Directly into the filters? We've never used that before.

justlookingon
04-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Guess I'm a little confused-our filter is wool. I thought that it could be referred to as "felt". Is there something different?

mountainvan
04-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Filters are either wool or Orlon, a synthetic material that filters well. I've never used wool, don't have any sheep. Add the filter aid to the hot syrup before pouring in the filter. Stir it up first though.

adk1
04-14-2014, 09:20 PM
I would actually suggest filtering your syrup right off the evap using 3 or4 prefilters. They will catch allot of the grime first. Then u can pour into your cone filters with the actual filter not just the prefilters.

325abn
04-14-2014, 09:26 PM
And what ADK1 said!

Z/MAN
04-14-2014, 09:33 PM
I filter through a paper prefilter when drawing off and then use prefilters and the wool when canning. Syrup usually runs right through the prefilters and wool with no problems. Filtering when drawing off takes out most of the niter.

justlookingon
04-15-2014, 11:17 AM
I would actually suggest filtering your syrup right off the evap using 3 or4 prefilters. They will catch allot of the grime first. Then u can pour into your cone filters with the actual filter not just the prefilters.

I think that this is the key! We used to do this until we got the filter tank. Filtering right off of the evaporator would be much easier...small draws, easy to change out the filter paper. If I can just remember that a year from now! Thanks alot everyone!

log cabin luke
02-11-2015, 09:24 PM
About the only part of sugaring that I disliked over the years is filtering through felts. I got so fed up one day I decided on trying other materials. Believe it or not I now use cheap cotton t shirts from walmart. I think I used hanes last year. The syrup goes through literally 4-5 times faster than through the felts with no prefilters used not to mention they cost ten times less. I did 400 gallons this way last year.I'd say it gets it 95% as good as the felts. not one complaint about syrup clarity from anyone. The big difference however is that I pack it in 15 gallon drums and bottle it later. Any settlement sticks to the bottom of the drum. The syrup is crystal clear when I bottle it. I recommend ditch the felts and grab some hanes. fruit of the loom would work too.

Marvel26
02-12-2015, 04:35 PM
I haven't had a draw off experience yet but when you filter on the draw won't the filter and the syrup get cold fast and plug up? Oh...I'll be outside when I draw off.

buckeye gold
02-12-2015, 04:41 PM
I would just use a prefilter coming off the evaporator outside. You can reheat and final filter inside later.

drpausch
02-22-2015, 09:49 PM
What do you use as a holder for your paper prefilters?

CampHamp
02-23-2015, 01:18 AM
I used to bottle my syrup the same day I drew it off, but tried a tip from a person here. I now draw off through a single prefilter and let that sit in the pot(s) over night. The sediment settles to the bottom. Slowly decant the syrup into a pot, leaving the sediment (bottom 2 inches of a 3 g pail/pot). Heat it up this clean syrup to boiling. Filter into your canning pot with prefilters and felt cone. It will run through easily without the sediment and your filters will stay clean. Now tackle the small amount of sediment syrup through (I scrape the sides with a wooden spoon to hurry it along). Re-heat filtered syrup to 190, check density and bottle.

I only make 50 gallons per year, so if I don't have 4+ gallons on a slow run then I won't filter it and will combine it with the next day's draw.

Pros: spend less time filtering over-all, need fewer filters on hand, enjoy boiling time without bottling/filtering work at same time

Cons: need additional clean containers for holding and decanting syrup

P.S. Dip your filters into hot sap (not releasing sediment) to reclaim syrup left in filter before washing them out. This way you don't feel like you've got to get every last drop through the filter -- you'll get it later.

MISugarDaddy
02-23-2015, 05:59 AM
We have used a SS strainer to put the prefilters in when filtering off the evaporator. You can just hang the strainer on the side of the pail or pan that you are catching the syrup in coming out of the evaporator.
Gary