PDA

View Full Version : Orange sap

bison1973
04-13-2014, 11:16 PM
Ok the sap coming out of my vacuum tubing, when looking at it sitting in the tank, is a very dark yellowish brown... almost orange. This sap is fresh it has not sat around at all.

It's not cloudy or milky just nearly orange looking sitting in the tank. It does not have a slimy feel. It's been coming this way for three days now. This seemed to start after we had three days of temps up in the low 60's.

Could it be coming out of the trees this color? I've never seen this before. It looks like you could cook it. Like I said not milky or cloudy (the type that make stringy syrup).

Help...Anyone ever encounter this?

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Ausable
04-14-2014, 05:49 AM
Sure - In my little part of Michigan they say "The Trees are going buddie". Sometime I will have one or two trees do this for a day or so and then give clear sap again with a sugar content. But - When the majority of the trees start this - I know - I'm done making maple for the year. The buds should be deep red and swollen up too getting ready to leaf out. Old Ma Nature decides She has been Sweet - long enough........

bison1973
04-14-2014, 06:03 AM
Ok the sap coming out of my vacuum tubing, when looking at it sitting in the tank, is a very dark yellowish brown... almost orange. This sap is fresh it has not sat around at all.

It's not cloudy or milky just nearly orange looking sitting in the tank. It does not have a slimy feel. It's been coming this way for three days now. This seemed to start after we had three days of temps up in the low 60's.

Could it be coming out of the trees this color? I've never seen this before. It looks like you could cook it. Like I said not milky or cloudy (the type that make stringy syrup).

Help...Anyone ever encounter this?

The thing is this sap is not off flavored... and the buds are still tight here. I know what buddy sap is; I've been squaring for a long time. I've never had this before.

Ausable
04-14-2014, 06:12 AM
The thing is this sap is not off flavored... and the buds are still tight here. I know what buddy sap is; I've been squaring for a long time. I've never had this before.

Bison - I did pick up on that You are an old hand at making maple. I almost didn't reply - Thinking You must have run into buddy sap over the years. Now - It is a puzzle to me too. Hey! I would check the sugar content of this sap - If the sugar checks ok and the sap has no smell - boil it as a noble experiment in Sugarin...lol. Somone else will pipe in soon - who has had this happen to them and end the mystery. ----I hope.

Burnt sap
04-14-2014, 07:34 AM
Yes I have seen this before only from some trees not all. Are the trees located near water? Brook, river, stream ect. Seems to me on our bush the trees that are pretty close to water do this. You really see it towards the end of the season not the start and after a good thaw. But the sap is good no smell no off flavor and decent sugar content. Boil it baby!

Lethalbowman
04-14-2014, 07:50 AM
9648 I found this sap in one of my buckets a few weeks ago, I just didn't risk adding it to the other sap just in case. After taking this picture I dumped it. BTW the next time I collected sap from the same tree it was as clear as water. Go figure.

michiganphil
04-14-2014, 08:43 AM
I usually see it run kinda brownish after a rain.