PDA

View Full Version : Steinhorst Bulk Tank

NW Ohio
04-13-2014, 10:40 PM
I recently purchased a Steinhorst bulk tank (I think it is ~300 gal). The tag says model #E26. I am wondering a couple of things. Are there very many people that use these to keep sap cold until they boil ( I usually boil on the weekend and keep sap cool with jugs of ice right now). My other question is this: what size compressor unit does this tank use. I was not able to get the original compressor so I don't know anything about it.

Sugarmaker
04-16-2014, 07:34 AM
Most folks only use these as clean storage containers. Not many use them as coolers. But coolng the sap would not be a bad thing. I have 4 dari-kool tanks and stripped all the outer layers off and just use the milk tank as sap storage.
Regards,
Chris

RollinsOrchards
04-16-2014, 11:03 AM
In most cases it is rare to find an older tank that does not have an internal coolant leak to some degree. Even with a compressor you will likely need annual service by a refrigeration company and a charge of coolant that will cost you a couple of hundred dollars annually. Unless it was sold in a working condition I wouldn't even try to hook up a compressor on it.

Let me put it this way. A tank of that size that will not refrigerate is worth $300 to $600. A tank like that in working condition would be worth $1500 to $2000.

mike z
04-16-2014, 12:39 PM
The sap will keep very nicely without the compressor. You may need to add a few sap ice cubes late in the season; that's no big deal. I once gathered and kept frozen sap chunks (first season's gather) and it took all season for them to thaw. I even had to keep the lids open the last couple days. Those bulk tanks are well insulated. I won't bother with the compressor.

NW Ohio
04-16-2014, 03:45 PM
OK, thanks guys. I got the tank for $350 and didn't figure I could go wrong (even without the compressor) after looking at poly tanks that size over $500 and stainless well over a $1000.

mike z
04-17-2014, 07:23 AM
The best thing about the stainless bulk tanks, is that they clean up easy, and drain completely.