PDA

View Full Version : The Color of the Sap

Cindee
04-13-2014, 07:52 AM
Hi,
When tapping a clump of Maples you know that kind that has five trees coming off of one stump. One bag on one of the trees was nice and clear the way it is suppose to be, the tree next to in had brown sap. We emptied the bag thinking perhaps the rain was running down the bark and somehow got in the bag discoloring it. Next day same thing. We pulled that tap. It did not have a bad smell and when we drilled the tree the wood was healthy. Anyone else have that?
Next, we noticed this year while cooking the sap it is very dark, the darkest we ever had. Taste is great at the end of everything. Could this be from such a late start this season? Also, last night while cooking as we were emptying the pan it seemed like there was a lot of sludge on the bottom of pan. The filters were a very, very dark brown. Is this a sign it is the end of the season?

Boomer
04-14-2014, 09:22 AM
I boiled 50 gallons of sap down this weekend & my syrup was very, very dark almost coffee like. The sap was as clear as water though not dark like you described. The syrup does not look anything like I've boiled the last couple of years but the taste is great. Filter was very plugged up by the time I was done.

I've read on another post that when the peepers are peeping that the run is over and I heard them Saturday night. I pulled my taps yesterday.

maplerookie
04-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Hi,
When tapping a clump of Maples you know that kind that has five trees coming off of one stump. One bag on one of the trees was nice and clear the way it is suppose to be, the tree next to in had brown sap. We emptied the bag thinking perhaps the rain was running down the bark and somehow got in the bag discoloring it. Next day same thing. We pulled that tap. It did not have a bad smell and when we drilled the tree the wood was healthy. Anyone else have that?
Next, we noticed this year while cooking the sap it is very dark, the darkest we ever had. Taste is great at the end of everything. Could this be from such a late start this season? Also, last night while cooking as we were emptying the pan it seemed like there was a lot of sludge on the bottom of pan. The filters were a very, very dark brown. Is this a sign it is the end of the season? Some one on another post had the same issue. and somebody sid it is probably sugar sand (niter) What kind of maples are you tapping?a

TerryF
04-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Believe you tapped a clump of soft maple, pretty common for them to grow like that. Stuff in bottom of pan is sugar sand or niter as the experts call it and when syrup is poured off and strained/filtered around my place it's always muddy looking residue left on filters. As for the brown sap coming out of the tree, maybe if you cooked it down you would get brown sugar! Ugh!