PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Size for Two Pan Continuous Flow

Rockrila
04-11-2014, 07:38 AM
I'm in the design stage for an oil tank evaporator. Plan to use the full boiling surface 2X6 with stack out the back. I will have a 2x4 and a 2x2 set of divided pans built. My question is how big should I make the interconnect fittings to make sure the gradient will work? Obviously, the large the size, the larger the cost. I've seen the 180 degree fitting and the setup with a box on both pans with a straight through fitting joining the pans. Also need to incorporate a shutoff to isolate the sap pan from the syrup pan for cleaning. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Newbie Mapler
Have a bush, a potential shack, tractor, ATV, snowmobile
Retired and working on the bucket list
Hoping for a 2015 startup

Big_Eddy
04-11-2014, 10:18 AM
3/4" Id is too small on my 20"x60"

I welded on a half coupling, then use a male to male to a Union, then a m-m to an elbow, another male to male to a valve, m-m to another elbow, m-m, Union, m-m and another welded on half coupling. Pipe comes out the side, forms a U and back in the side of the next pan.

2 half couplings
2 Unions
6 m-m adapters
1 valve

HC-MM-UN-MM - Elbo
............................w
............................|
............................mm
............................valve
............................mm
............................w
HC-MM-UN-MM - Elbo

Works for me, and I can isolate the pans and as long as I drain one pan, I remove either pan while keeping sap in the other one.

Rockrila
04-19-2014, 07:07 AM
Thanks for fitting sequence. Standard stainless fittings are cheaper than the industrial 'sanitary branded' ones. Sounds like an 1 1/2 set of fitting will work based on fitting sizes used on the likes of commercially sold evaporators like Leader. Hoping to do the complete 180 for under $200.

Thanks again

-Bill

Newbie Mapler
Have a bush, a potential shack, tractor, ATV, snowmobile
Retired and working on the bucket list
Hoping for a 2015 startup