PDA

View Full Version : Steamaway/ Sap Raider

nymapleguy607
04-11-2014, 05:46 AM
So that time of year has come when you reflect on the season and try to find what can you do better for next year. My biggest bottle neck seemed to be getting everything boiled the night it was collected, the smaller early season runs where not a problem but when the trees kicked into high gear I couldn't keep up. I am debating adding a steamaway or sap raider, and was wondering if anyone knows the height of that unit. I know some will say to add an RO and I had thought of that route, but to add an ro means upgrading the power service to the shack, and adding onto the building for a heated room. I did some rough calculations and adding a steamaway would increase my GPH from 48 to almost 90gph. This would keep almost all of my boils under 5 hours. Also would anyone know how much hot water comes off a steamaway? Thanks in advance.

Sunday Rock Maple
05-17-2014, 09:08 PM
I don't have one but was wondering what you found out?

I Luv Stainless
05-18-2014, 04:55 AM
Hi Jeff,

Looking down the road, if you are already on vacuum and you are considering expanding, I would seriously consider R.O. I tap 500 on vacuum and when faced with a similar late night boiling situation, it was cheaper for me to go with R.O. than it was to have new pans made (my rig has all flat pans). With 1.5 seasons of R.O. under my belt, I have been amazed with how it has cut my boiling time nearly in half! Wood consumption was also cut by about 40% which means less time doing firewood.

The R.O. learning curve is steep and it took me longer to plumb and figure out than I expected but it was worth it. I spent about $5500 on my 50 gph. R.O. including a small concentrate tank. Subtract the cost of the steam-away and it may be worth considering.

Good luck

Mit

maple flats
05-18-2014, 06:55 AM
I agree, an RO will do far more than a steamaway. The price depends on what you get, and if you desire, electric is not necessary. My RO came from Ray Gingerich and it started as a gas unit the first 2 years, this year I converted it to electric because I now have grid power and have a 200 amp service.
With an RO, you can boil 8% rather than 2% sap, cutting your boil time to 1/4. In fact, the first year I just boiled 8%, the last 2 years, I keep the RO running. As I get up to 150-200 gal of concentrate, and while I'm boiling, I just turn 2 valves and recirculate from my head tank. As that tank gets low I switch the 2 valves again and add from the sap tank. When using from the sap tanks, I remove about 75% of the water, when recirculating I cut back and remove about 50% more continuously. As such I boil anywhere from 8-14% concentrate. The last year before I bought the RO (I paid $3200 in Sept 2011 for a 250 GPH RO) I had only 775 taps and during a 4 day real good run, I got behind boiling up to 21 hrs straight and had to sell 1150 gal of sap. Last year my best day was 2500 gal of sap on 1250 taps (2000 gal) and the last 500 gal I bought from others. That day I was done in good time. To process faster I reduced the pressure but recirculated longer and I took the concentrate to 15-16%, the highest my RO will do. More expensive ones will go over 20%.
An RO running 240 gph from 2% to 8% will give you180 gph of permeate (pure water). I heat my water using a small tankless propane heater I bought from Sportsman's Guide for under $110 and it heats just over 1 gpm to 130 degrees. At those prices a steamaway can't ever come close, no way, no how.
With an RO your 48 gph can then be finishing about 200 gph of sap in the concentrate state and you can draw off over 10 gts of syrup an hour. In fact on my 3x8 with my recirculating method I often draw 6-7 gph when I get in the 14-15% area.

madmapler
05-18-2014, 07:42 AM
If you decide to go with a sap raider(best price), just call Sunrise metal at 260 463 4027. They are very friendly and don't mind talking over the phone at all. Thats how they do business. I'm sure they'll answer your questions.

jmayerl
05-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Jeff-
Don't even think about the steam away. A RO is the only way to go. If you have limited electric, ray's hobby RO only draws 8 amps and will process 125 gph. Worse case senario get a gas powered one. To each there own but with the advent if inexpense but very durable RO's the steam away is about as useful as a horse drawn sap wagon( sure it will work but what a waste of time and money)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Jeff-
Don't even think about the steam away. A RO is the only way to go. If you have limited electric, ray's hobby RO only draws 8 amps and will process 125 gph. Worse case senario get a gas powered one. To each there own but with the advent if inexpense but very durable RO's the steam away is about as useful as a horse drawn sap wagon( sure it will work but what a waste of time and money)

I disagree with your assessment on a steamaway. I have one and love it and yes they do cost up front but have basically zero maintenance cost and are extremely easy to clean as they just about clean themselves. I upgraded to a RO for next year too, but wouldn't want to boil without the steamaway. Another 30 or more gph with only a few dollars in electricity per year. Yes, RO will do more but as Dr Tim says, they are both very beneficial.

Rhino
05-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Not sure how much hot water would come off a 2x6 but on our 5x16 we end up filling a 200 gal. bulk tank and let the rest run out the building. I am sure you will get plenty for washing. The top of ours sits 7ft. high. We need to stand on tip toes to see the bubbler effect/foaming inside through the door. Had this before r.o. r.o was better money spent as far as speeding up the whole process, hot water benefit is a nice thing to have to though.

nymapleguy607
05-19-2014, 05:11 AM
I ended up ordering a Steamaway, the height of the steamaway is 22 inches. So I will be able to fit it in the sugarhouse without an issue. I decided to go with the steamaway after talking with a lot of the dealers at the open houses in April, My decision came down to the steamaway would give me the the processing speed I needed, with alot simpler cleaning process. I liked the fact that I can use the steamaway still if I have a small run, and the hot water was a big thing for me. Another reason was with the current number of taps I have by the time I concentrated the sap to 6-8% I would have enough sap to just barely start the evaporator. Time will tell if this was the right decision and I will keep you posted on how it works out. Thanks for your replies.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
05-19-2014, 09:21 AM
I don't think you will be disappointed with the steam away. I boiled for many years without one. Last yeas was the first time I had ever used one as the arch I purchased used came with one. It was awesome, and my sugarhouse has never been cleaner.