PDA

View Full Version : Sour syrup

Jonnagy
04-10-2014, 10:23 PM
This is my first year boiling and I have run into my first product question. I am boiling and I tasted a little of my syrup when I was pulling it off my pan. It had a slight sour taste on the back end. Is the sap/syrup bad? I am not selling it just boiling for myself this year. My sap is slightly yellow and slightly cloudy, not the best I know, but still smells fine. I just want to know if I should keep boiling my last 100 gal's or if I should end my season? Some help would be great. Thanks!!

Smrdc1974
04-11-2014, 09:13 AM
No good..... Well, if you are going to consume and don't mind then go ahead..... But, I would call it an end to the season.... Make sure everything is super clean before tapping..... I bleach everything before and after season.

325abn
04-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Interesting, is sour or is it woody tasting?

Jonnagy
04-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Maybe I was wrong. As the boil went on as I drew off again everything tasted fine. Maybe I just smelled something at the same time. I am going to have a couple people taste it before I finish it to back up my second taste. Thanks for the input.

Revi
04-11-2014, 01:32 PM
At the very end of the season there is usually some off colored sap. I throw it away when it's in a bucket.

Ed R
04-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Two years ago the last syrup I made had a metabolic off flavor (About 2 gallon). I've been using it in my coffee and don't even notice the off flavor. I finished using it this winter.