PDA

View Full Version : concentrate color

ronamy5298
04-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Our first year with a RO machine. We had extra sap to sell, but the buyer wouldn't take it because the color after one pass through our RO wasn't clear - had a light yellowish color to it. Is that normal?

Northeast Wisconsin Tapper

ryebrye
04-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Sap after it boils to 8 or 12% has a slight yellow color. Why would he expect concentrate to be any different?

wiam
04-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Has this buyer ever seen concentrate?

Bucket Head
04-15-2014, 08:41 PM
Bring it right here- I'll buy it! Seriously, that color is correct. Hopefully you can set him straight and have better luck next season.

Steve

Russell Lampron
04-16-2014, 05:15 AM
Mine has a greenish color to it and the higher that I concentrate it to the darker it gets. It is normal.

maple flats
04-16-2014, 07:46 AM
If it was still clear you didn't concentrate it very much. How is it that you wanted to sell concentrate? When I have a lot, I just boil while I'm reconcentrating further. With my RO I can't seem to go higher than about 16%, but at that I make a lot of syrup. I then slow my boil slightly and draw up to 12 gal/hr of syrup off. I only slow the boil because I have a hard time in my crowded sugarhouse, filtering and packing (and moving 40 gal bbls out and new in any faster). I'd need more room and a full double bank filter press to keep up with that, rather than a single 7" 5 plate filter.