PDA

View Full Version : How quick will syrup spoil if not bottled immediately?

vermontpure
04-10-2014, 09:09 PM
I'm finishing a batch tonight & another tomorrow night. I have absolutely no help to filter & bottle til saturday afternoon. Is this gonna work or should I jerryrig a way to filter & bottle shortly after each batch?

stonyhill
04-10-2014, 09:23 PM
You can refrigerate it and then just reheat it when you bottle it.

vermontpure
04-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks stonyhill. Thats what I though but just wanted to verify.

steve J
04-11-2014, 06:25 AM
I make batches all week long store in 12 quart pots in basement which is 38 degrees and reheat and bottle on weekends when I have help.

mike z
04-12-2014, 05:29 PM
If it is syrup or very close to 66 brix it will keep for a long time in a cool place. I've bottled finished syrup a month after pulling off the evaporator with no problem. The length of time will depend on how cold it is kept and to some extent how close to finished syrup it is. I always draw off a little heavy and thin it when finishing.

maple flats
04-13-2014, 05:54 AM
As long as it is at or very close to proper density, it will hold a few weeks as long as you can keep it from getting way too warm. Likely best if able to maintain temps under about 50. If it gets too warm, mold can start to grow on the surface. If that happens, just bring it up to 200, skim and it's good again. However each reheating can gradually turn it darker.