PDA

View Full Version : Next Generation 2x3 - Experience?

djhcatony
04-10-2014, 08:41 PM
I may have missed a forum discussion on the NextGen 2x3 and if so, I apologize for raising the question again. I am just getting started and considering a purchase of this evaporator. Would anyone have an opinion or experience they would like to share? Seems like a nice, simple set up for someone planning < 50 taps. Thanks much!

corbox1
12-30-2014, 10:42 AM
I bought a 2x4 evaporator from Nextgen last season. I really like it and have had no issues. Its easy to operate. I am a small producer 50-100 taps and I went with the 2x4 setup. I felt that this was the better choice because it allows you the option to upgrade the pan someday if you ever want a drop flue or something made by another manufacturer. That being said, in order to get any decent yield out of these units, they have to be really boiling. Prepare to load the fire about every 5-10 minutes.

Woodtap
03-31-2018, 06:40 PM
I am looking at the same evaporator to purchase for next season, was wondering how many gallons it boils off in an hour? Did your unit come with a blower?

Troutman10
04-01-2018, 10:46 PM
I have a nextgen 2x3 that Ive used for a couple seasons now. I learned more with it this year than last. I was loading wood every 5-10 mins with it and got close to the 8 gph time it claimes on the website. You could get 5-6 gph all day long if youre not efficient loading wood. My wood could have been dried a bit more and that may have helped my gph time. Also, might have to try some sort of fan next year. Its really a good little unit. Bought mine at the end of the season and saved a little bc he usually has a sale. I think 50 taps is accurate for max on the 2x3. It all depends on what you have for time. I dont see myself going over 50 due to time constraints and being very busy in general anyways. Good luck!

Ps The units dont come with a blower

Woodtap
04-02-2018, 07:20 AM
Thanks for your info. I am thinking of getting the 2x4, planning on having between 50 to 100 taps. All that I have read have been positive on the next-generation evaporator.

Troutman10
04-02-2018, 08:20 PM
2x4 should be a good fit for ya with that amount of taps. I liked that it wasnt too far of a ride for a pickup in syracuse. I'll most likely be making the move to something bigger in years to come bc of all the pan options for a 2x4 but 2x3 should suit me well for a while. Hope you like it if you go that route. Good luck!

suzuki07
04-03-2018, 06:03 PM
I have a 2x4 New Generation new this year I made 20 gallons of syrup About 9 gallons an hour and you can finish from it It's for sale as I'm getting bigger next year 1200.00 or a nice evaporator

Woodtap
04-06-2018, 09:31 PM
If your definately selling I would be interested, could you send me a photo? (315) 276-1176 Thanks Craig