PDA

View Full Version : I think the Fat Lady is Singing...

DonMcJr
04-10-2014, 04:43 PM
The Buds are opening and my Bees are getting Pollen from them today...

MidMichMaple
04-10-2014, 08:17 PM
The Buds are opening and my Bees are getting Pollen from them today...

That's what my freeman maple looks like. My silver is even further along than those pics. Nothing on the sugars though.

DonMcJr
04-10-2014, 10:59 PM
The Sugar Maples get these funny Stem Thingys and the Buds open later...So yes the Stem thingys are there but buds tight...Only have 2 Sugars to tap though...

Also I just did the Math I had 11 less taps this year and both years figured out to .25 Gallons of Syrup Per Tree...

michiganphil
04-11-2014, 09:23 AM
The Sugar Maples get these funny Stem Thingys and the Buds open later...So yes the Stem thingys are there but buds tight...Only have 2 Sugars to tap though...

That looks like what is left from last year's flower/fruit.

The silvers over on this side of the state are in full bloom, and I'm starting to see some reds too. The sugars haven't even started to swell yet.

sugar daddy 1
04-11-2014, 11:58 AM
A few of us around here are leaving taps in. Waiting for the cold next week . sugars don't seem to want to bud , the sugar % still high.

Jonnyp390
04-11-2014, 05:04 PM
I got 8 gallons of questionable sap earlier in the week. Tried to boil it yesterday and my wife said "why does it smell like you're are cooking cauliflower in there?" I guess I finally got to experience Buddy sap. I shut it down and pulled all my taps yesterday. Finished the season at 280 gallons of sap from 44 taps and made a pint shy of 7 gallons. I hope you guys in the north can stretch the season out a little longer. Good luck to everyone.

maple flats
04-12-2014, 06:47 AM
My sugar buds have not even started to swell, as of yesterday. We have real warm temps forecast thru Tuesday, then if all goes well, I should get 3 or 4 more days of good flow. The holes have not started to dry up on CV2's, and I finished tapping 1/20 (or 21). My taps are all on sugars and are 95%+ woods trees, with just a very few roadside on an east facing slope. This likely helps.

Bruce L
04-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Ran the vacuum pump for about an hour yesterday, couldn't stand the look or smell of what was dumping from the releaser. Peepers are out in the swamp at night here too, supposed to be a big freeze Tues., but I am pretty sure it is too late.