PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring system

sapman
04-10-2014, 03:21 PM
Just thought I'd mention how happy I am with the Smarttrek Monitoring system I got this year. Sugarbush is 10 miles away, so there were always many trips there just to check on tank level. I also installed their vacuum sensor, which has temperature included. System was very easy to install, with a couple phone calls, and worked flawlessly all season. The only issues I had were with my mobile hot spot, and perhaps Google Drive having very temporary glitches at times. As long as I reset the hotspot every couple days, it seemed to keep working. Maybe they aren't meant to be on 24/7.

Anyhow, just wanted to put a plug in for them. I have no financial interest in the company. The owners are great people and take as much time with you as necessary. They are also looking to constantly improve the system and software/features.

Tim

steam maker
04-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Where did u get the system and do u have there number or website? Thanks

markct
04-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Whats the cost roughly? I have been admiring some of these new gadgets for remote monitoring sap but have a feeling they are well outa my cost range

sapman
04-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Where did u get the system and do u have there number or website? Thanks

I bought directly from the makers in Quebec, but I believe the Maple Guys, that run this site, are dealers. To be honest, it would be nice to call someone stateside for assistance, like them. But I didn't have much trouble understanding the owners. They seem very accommodating.

Website is smartrektechnologies.com.

There is a webinar on Mapletrader from last summer where they interviewed the gentlemen.

sapman
04-10-2014, 11:04 PM
Whats the cost roughly? I have been admiring some of these new gadgets for remote monitoring sap but have a feeling they are well outa my cost range

My system was $1300. $400 for gateway, $400 for vac sensor, and $500 for ultrasonic tank monitor. Plus you'll need an android device to upload data. Great thing is the system is as expandable as you want. Not sure if I'll ever get more vac sensors for the bush, as it's not that big an area. But the option is there.

I figure that between less tanks running over, less fuel driving to check on it, and time saved, I could justify it. While working my day job, I can still keep tabs on things.

wiam
04-11-2014, 11:16 PM
Can it run off a battery?

Mark
04-12-2014, 02:48 PM
I really like my system and going to buy many more transmitters for next year. I emailed the maple guys to order and they said the manufacturer was waiting on components. I was in a hurry and called direct to check on how long it would take and they did not know about any wait for components and sent mine out the next morning direct.

I learned a lot watching the vacuum levels, there is a lot going on with the lines and freezing that I did not expect.

wiam
04-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Does it have to have power available?

sapman
04-12-2014, 11:20 PM
Mark, glad you're happy with your system, too. I wish my bush was big enough to warrant more sensors, but maybe I'll add some someday anyway. I would love to see the vac at the ends of mainlines.

sapman
04-12-2014, 11:22 PM
Does it have to have power available?

As far as I know, it does need power. But perhaps the draw is small enough that a battery with inverter would last a long time. The gateway and tank sensor are the parts that need a receptacle. It's worth asking them!

Mark
04-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Mark, glad you're happy with your system, too. I wish my bush was big enough to warrant more sensors, but maybe I'll add some someday anyway. I would love to see the vac at the ends of mainlines.
I figure I need about 100 of them. A friend said if I spend that much I should ask if they would put the sensor program in escrow. That way if they were to go out of business you would not be stuck with something you could not expand, but I think they will be very profitable and stay in business.

sapman
04-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Yeah I think they are dedicated to customer service and good development of their product. They should make it.