PDA

View Full Version : buddy sap

miner1
04-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Can I tell if the sap is buddy before I boil it. What does it taste like? We are having a good run today in buckets I dumped out last night. The trees have formed tiny buds.

happy thoughts
04-10-2014, 11:21 AM
I think the general response is to take a cup or two and boil it on the stove. The smell should be the give away. Buddy sap may also have a yellow color.

Phoenix Sugaring
04-10-2014, 07:37 PM
I have boiled two seasons now, and each time I think I have had buddy sap. I started late last season (boiled on 3/24) and sap gave off a slightly odd oder while boiling (sap tasted great and was very clear). But in spite of the odor, the syrup tastes good, and is very sweet. Has a slightly vanilla cast to it as well. This year the only run I got had the same odor (last weekend). All the trees we tapped were hardwoods, and the sugar was 2.7. Is this odor due to the late season, or is there possibly something else going on?

ryebrye
04-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Can I tell if the sap is buddy before I boil it. What does it taste like? We are having a good run today in buckets I dumped out last night. The trees have formed tiny buds.

What stage are the buds in? The trees form buds in the fall and they break open in the spring - so they should have had tiny buds all season.

Can you see any green in between the scales of the buds?

DrTimPerkins
04-11-2014, 07:52 AM
I have boiled two seasons now, and each time I think I have had buddy sap.

The trees in Richmond (where I live) are not buddy yet. How long did you hold your sap before boiling?

Once you've smelled or tasted buddy syrup, you will never wonder what it tastes like again....and probably never want to taste it again. It is not a slightly-off flavor....it is a slap you in the face and spit it right out kind of thing.