PDA

View Full Version : Hydrotherm broke, anyone use an Atago PAL-α?

NTBugtraq
04-10-2014, 10:40 AM
I can't believe all the things I should've been told but never was...or put another way, I can't believe how stupid I am...;-]

Keeping everything vertical, I thought to test my boiling sap (which was at +4F over boiling point) with my hydrotherm. Filled the SS 10" cup, and lowered the hydrotherm in...it kept going, and finally I just let it go into the cup (thinking it will bob back up again)...nope! Straight to the bottom. Poured it out, and low and behold, a nice big chunk of glass popped outta the side of the thing...$70 down the drain.

Anyway, given my issues with figuring out where my sap is, I have ordered an Atago PAL-α, a digital refractometer that only requires a 0.3mL sample and 3 seconds...bingo, brix. Thoughts...and please don't just say; "oh you don't need that!", I get that I don't have to have it, but...

Cheers,
Russ

happy thoughts
04-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Geez you're having a bad week :(

There's another recent thread floating around here about using refractometers for syrup. If no one else gets back to you and if I remember correctly, the general consensus was they don't work so well on hot syrup and especially unfiltered syrup.

KevinS
04-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Geez you're having a bad week :(

There's another recent thread floating around here about using refractometers for syrup. If no one else gets back to you and if I remember correctly, the general consensus was they don't work so well on hot syrup and especially unfiltered syrup.

That is good to know! I was considering one for next season..
considering I have not broke a hydrometer for 2 years.. I thought I might get prepared...

NTBugtraq
04-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Christine, if you were referring to this thread; http://Refractometer--for filtered syrup only? (http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?22824-Refractometer-for-filtered-syrup-only&highlight=digital+refractometer), it seems to me that the thread suggested that cheaper digital units (Milwaulkee) are less reliable than more expensive models (Misco), but there really wasn't enough input to make a "consensus".

I just got off the phone with Atago; talked to a very helpful individual (Tamae) who was really interested in my question about niter. I asked whether the niter would affect the readings. She told me that niter would not affect the reading, providing the sample is mostly syrup (e.g. you're not scraping up niter from the bottom of the pan in taking the sample, or, you're not taking the sample from the tap when its first opened). So dipping a spoon into the top of the syrup at the draw-off point would provide enough sample material. Then, you must fill the well completely, and either swish the sample around in the well or just let it stand for ~30 seconds. This is only to let the meter temperature adjust to the sample temperature.

I noticed that they didn't have a testimonial from a maple syrup producer and suggested they put one up...she asked me to do that providing I find the meter works as I hope it does (that the brix reading doesn't change more than 2/10ths of a brix between draw-off pre-filtering and filtered).

So, we should see in the next couple of days.

Cheers,
Russ

happy thoughts
04-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Yes, that's the thread, Russ. You're right about less expensive units being discussed. I'm glad you called the manufacturer and got an answer. But just a thought- shouldn't any testimonial be based on comparison with a calibrated hydrometer? I'm not saying that model isn't accurate but what can you really say about 2 readings within a certain tolerance on the same unit? What if the first reading is off to begin with? Seems to me there should be a better basis for comparison.

NTBugtraq
04-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Well, quite frankly I'm not really too concerned about the measurement being more than +/- 0.2 brix out, I doubt they'd be offered by as many suppliers if they were that far wrong. My concern is whether the draw-off sample = the filtered sample. If that's wrong, I've just wasted a bunch of filtering time for nothing...and that's all I would be attesting to. As someone said in that earlier thread, if you have 1 thermo you know exactly what the temp is, if you have 2, you're never sure...;-] If I tested against a hydrometer which could I prove was more accurate?

I'm told I can expect a visit from a government representative who will verify that my syrup is of an acceptable brix amount. When they arrive, I'll give them some syrup I tested with the now dead hydrotherm, and other syrup done with the digital refractometer. See what they say about each, that's the best I can do.

Cheers,
Russ

johnallin
04-10-2014, 09:06 PM
My concern is whether the draw-off sample = the filtered sample. If that's wrong, I've just wasted a bunch of filtering time for nothing...

Russ,
You can adjust your density after filtering in fact, that's where a Misco or other good refractometer will really shine. One - because you won't need to draw a full hydro cup and, Two- the temperature is of no concern because the better units will compensate automatically. But its' better to be on the heavy side by a point or so and just add some distilled water - tables are published here someplace.
On the Misco you only need to cover the lens at the bottom of the well, it only takes a drop or so. Good luck with your new tool, I think you're going to be very happy.

maple marc
04-11-2014, 10:06 PM
During my research binge last week in my frustration about the accuracy of my Milwaukee refractometer used to measure unfiltered syrup, I talked to someone who had used an Atago. He was not impressed with its accuracy.

I would like to hear from someone with a lot of experience with a Misco--measuring unfiltered syrup. I'm mostly interested in room temperature syrup, measured before I adjust the density. Have you tested and retested the same sample several times? Over several minutes? If not, I'm not convinced it's any better than the Milwaukee. Just like the guy with one thermometer who is absolutely sure of the temperature.......

The Milwaukee is accurate and consistent on filtered syrup. But that's not why I bought it.

As I stated before in the other thread, perhaps with the Misco and the extra $300, what you are getting is the pocket size and the ruggedness of the case--maybe not accuracy.

I'll probably just stick with my hydro......I get consistent readings every time with it. Messy but consistent.

Marc