PDA

View Full Version : Daillare Float Nor Working

Amber Gold
04-10-2014, 07:18 AM
I bought a new to me evaporator this year, and it came with a set of Dallaire pans. I can't get the flue pan float to maintain a constant liquid level. It either lets in too much liquid or not enough. If I boil harder, I need to open the valve a bit, if things start to slow down, then I need to dial it back. The setting when things aren't running is much higher than when they are. It's a simple float system that's the same as the leader king float box I had on my old set of Grimm pans. The only difference I can figure is the gasket material that's used. The Dallaire float has a 1/4" (guessing) thick white foam like gasket material that's squishy. The Leader float had a regular gasket type material. I think I'll go to the hardware store and buy some flat gasket material and cut it out to fit and replace the one the float came with.

Open to other ideas.

Russell Lampron
04-10-2014, 07:46 PM
How high is your feed tank above the evaporator? Maybe you've got too much head pressure for the float to shut off the flow.

Maplewalnut
04-10-2014, 08:05 PM
Can you switch out to a different style float? Most are similar width length, might take some fabrication but would be less headaches in long run

Amber Gold
04-11-2014, 06:50 AM
I tried the hardware store gasket material last night, and that didn't seal properly.
When I test fired it over the summer, the head tank was just a bit higher than the top of preheater and had an issue with it, so I moved it up 18"...not it's 7-8' high. I have the issue regardless of liquid level in the head tank. When not running, the float seals off the head tank fine. It appears to have an issue with regulating flow.
Thanks for the input.

nymapleguy607
04-11-2014, 07:18 AM
Have you checked your float to see if it has a pin hole leak in it? The float on my syrup pan was doing something similar and I had to keep on adjusting the flaot up and down, then I pulled the float and shook it and it had sap inside of it. After draining it out I didn't have a problem

sam1234
04-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Hi,

First thing to check (and it was mentionned before), too much pressure coming from the feed tank can affect the float working properly.
As the tank gets lower, the float will work better.
A '''pressure cutting float box can solve this problem''

Do you have two ports connecting to the flue pan or only one port (water inlet)?
New style float boxed are divided in two. The floats is alone in its compartment which makes it more stable and the water inlet has its own port.

Hope it helps.

Dave Puhl
04-12-2014, 08:23 AM
I have a 2x6 same brand.. I have a separate compartment for the float .I have had the side of the box rub against the float ..also if your at the top of the adjustment you may have to bend the arm down slightly you have a preheater is that giving you added pressure...