PDA

View Full Version : Selling concentrated sap

woodchuck
04-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Hey:
Im at a point in life where the kids are through college and I’m doing a few “me” things. My five year plan is to have a small 800 tap sugaring operation. My first step has been to develop a bush and build a sugarhouse (no pan). This year I got up to 200 trees on vacuum (400 next year) and 100 buckets and drive my sap 25 miles to a family members sugarhouse. Driving 350 gallons of sap on a good day takes time and wear and tear on my truck and trailer.
Im a one man show so an RO is in my plan. SO, what if i get it a few years earlier than I planned. How much can I sell 8-10% concentrate for?
Im just thinking out loud and looking for your thoughts.
Thanks for listening :)

jmayerl
04-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Concentrate only has a shelf life of up too 4 hours on a good cold day with fresh sap being concentrated. It isn't really feasible to sell concentrate unless the buyer is very close and they are ready to cook it immediately

southfork
04-09-2014, 06:56 AM
With the cost associated with setting up a modern processing plant, I believe selling concentrate will be a very real part of the industry future. Many are transporting concentrate now. Right from the R/O into transporting tanks with immediate delivery to area processors, pretty simple process. Not sure on price, variable by area and demand I suspect.

spud
04-09-2014, 11:15 AM
I plan to sell concentrate in the next year or two. We have not discussed price yet but my buyer is willing to pay more. Right now selling sap I get $20.50 per gallon of syrup and that is 65% of bulk price. If I sold 10% sap it would take 8.7 gallons to make a gallon of syrup. I would need five times the money just to break even. To make it worth my while to even buy an RO I would need about 5-7 times as much money as I'm getting now for a gallon of 10% sap sold. That would put the price of 10% quality sap at $2.50 a gallon. just to break even. Then I have to factor in the cost of an RO and the electric bill. If your also driving the sap to the buyer then it goes up more.

Spud