PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the pan

Wood burn
04-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Hi guys I'm running a 2x4 flat bottom pan would like to know how do I go about cleaning it after about ten hours of boiling . It's going to be sitting all as I can only boil on the weekend . Thx

Diesel Pro
04-07-2014, 11:43 AM
After boiling we do a quick rinse and light scrub to get any sweet out. Then the pan gets flipped upside down until the next cook.

When we go to start up again, we build a small fire to warm it just a bit and use vinegar/water and a scotch brite pad. Rinse it good and ready to go.

Wood burn
04-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Is vinegar ok to use with a stainless steel pan ?

wnybassman
04-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Is vinegar ok to use with a stainless steel pan ?

That is how I clean the inside mine at the end of the season. Last year I let 5" of sap sit for a couple months covered and let it turn to vinegar, that worked very well also.

Diesel Pro
04-07-2014, 04:06 PM
You could use barkeepers friend, but then you have residue to get rid of. Vinegar is a very mild acid and works well.

Bentley Wood Maple
04-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Just picked up a gallon of foaming acid at local dairy supply store. Rince pans with water then flood them, add cup or 2 of acid and let soak overnight. Front pan usually takes a stronger solution. The gallon jug cost me 17$ and should last couple years.

Wood burn
04-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Thx for all the great replys guys , for tonight I just flooded the pan with about twenty gallons of water and let it boil cleaned up pretty good . Next time around I'll use some chemical and get her shinning again . What about cleaning the outside of the pan any tricks ?