PDA

View Full Version : Deep NUF... for You...

Fred Henderson
01-06-2007, 02:32 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nanacoon/NewImage-1.jpg
I'm 6 foot 5 inches... it took me a while to dig my way out of this snowbank. :D Can you SEE me now???????

HanginAround
01-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Geeesh, thought that was this yr at first... raining, green grass, and 54 here today.

maplehound
01-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Iv'e been told that some years you NY'ers tap at ankle high and then need a step ladder to pull those same taps. Don't know how you do it. I think that would keep me from tapping. I have only tapped one year when I needed to plow the drive to the woods. That was enough for me.

Fred Henderson
01-06-2007, 03:37 PM
A lot of syrup makers in the Northeast tap on snowshoes. I have taped at waist high and within 2 weeks had to reach up to empty a bucket.

Ed K
01-06-2007, 03:53 PM
I put lines out one yr not to long ago an carried a 5 gal bucket with me to pull them out :lol: .

maple flats
01-07-2007, 05:49 PM
In 03 and 04 I had to tap on snow shoes, it sure takes longer. In 04 it warmed up enough so that I only collected 2 or 3 days on snow shoes and then my regular boots were enough. In 05 and 06 the snow was rather low and didnt even get out the snowshoes (They hang on the sugarhouse wall, 2 pr in case someone "wants to help".

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Yup- remember that-I got pictures of the mainline in some spots 2' under the snow and had to pull up quite a few miles of lateral line from under the crust before it would run as sap was frozen in the laterals and the trees were running.

My 60 cord log length pile was as high as i could pile it with the loader on my Farmall M/Had to put a piece of surveyors tape on 1 log so i wouldn't run into it with my sled-Came spring and all the snow melted and it was about 3' over my head. Definitely an old fashion winter that year.

ennismaple
01-08-2007, 12:29 PM
We stretched lines for 3500 taps all on snowshoes in 2003 in 4 days. It almost killed the 4 of us! The snow was past waist deep in a lot of places.

The following weekend the snow was only waist deep.

The 3rd weekend there was no snow and the season ended a couple days later. It was our worst year since the ice storm of '98 and the conditions were perfect to start! Mother Nature sure can be funny...

Revi
01-08-2007, 12:33 PM
This year the snow isn't deep enough to need boots. Usually we need snowshoes for tapping. The taps are way up the trees, and we need a ladder to pull them. What's going on? Some people are tapping already. They are boiling up in Quebec according to the radio this morning. We got an inch or two this morning, and it turned to rain. We have about two inches of slush now.

HanginAround
01-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Exactly the same here Revi, grass was green yesterday, snowed a couple inched this AM, raining here now.

Revi
01-10-2007, 12:23 PM
I heard on the news this morning that it'll be below freezing until the end of the week, then a brief warm up on Friday and back in the freezer. It may snow on Sunday into Monday. I'm glad we didn't tap yet! We need at least a month or two of winter. We may get it now.