PDA

View Full Version : dry trees

slammer3364
04-06-2014, 05:32 PM
I tapped beginning of March. The 8th to be exact,anyway some trees that really do well I got nothing. I decided to pull about 20 taps last week and tap some different trees,they seem to be flowing really well. Anyone else having this problem this year. I know it was extremely cold and goofed the trees up this year but this seems really odd

happy thoughts
04-06-2014, 06:09 PM
This season was certainly one for the record books. I was afraid it was going to be a bust but things pulled out at the end. I tapped our sugar maples around the 25th of February and most were still running well today on buckets. I'm a little NE of Williamsport. Last week was a banner one and collected about a third of the sap we got all season. It hurt to pull taps today but after 6 weeks I've had it, lol.

What types of maples are you tapping? It's not unusual for reds to be finicky. Some flow well while others barely. At least that's been my experience.

Good luck with your new taps. There may still be a few good days for sap flow if the temps in your area look like they do here.

maple flats
04-07-2014, 08:53 AM
I finished tapping Jan 20 (or was it 21?) and got no real sap runs until Mar 26. Since then I have done fairly well. If your trees dried that early, considerint the weather this Spring has brought, I might suspect you tap hole sanitation. However you're far enough south of me that your weather could be the total issue.