PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use automatic defoamer dispensers?

Bruce L
04-06-2014, 03:45 PM
I saw these at Leader's last year, thinking about getting one to save making the trip up the steps to put defoamer in the flue pan every fire( We are on the side of a hill with the evaporator set into an old stone wall, so have to go up three steps every fire to get to the back pan.) I have a sight glass on the side of the pan, so I know exactly where my height is without looking in the pan.

NTBugtraq
04-06-2014, 04:03 PM
I have a ladle which I put defoamer into and then hang inside the flue pan. I put a bit of defoamer powder in it, and forget about it. I haven't had any foam yet (in 16 hours of boiling). I was told, using it this way will let the little tub of defoamer last years.

Oh, I should add, the bottom of the ladle sits about 4" above the top of the sap. Story goes, if it foams, foam will touch the defoaming powder in the ladle. If sap gets into the ladle, no problem, just leave it be.

Cheers,
Russ

Mel
05-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Bumping up an old thread.

We've tried the ladle thing & powder with mixed results - wondering about the drip type one, maybe with some Canola in it. Anybody?

bees1st
05-14-2015, 06:11 PM
I tried an automatic dripper this year . It was a cheapo I bought on Ebay for 10 bucks or so . The adjustment was poor a best . I'm thinking with an adjuster that can be fine tuned better it would work like a charm .

n8hutch
05-14-2015, 07:49 PM
I used the Atmos defoamer this year, worked really well, ran out one day & I tried Canola oil & I have to say it didn't work like the Atmos, maybe other people have had different results.

maple maniac65
05-15-2015, 07:29 AM
I tried the automatic dripper and could never seem to get it dialed it correct. Nothing like dumping the whole thing in too fast. Or forgetting to turn it off when done boiling. One of the best places to buy one is from Grainger for about $25.00. I do not know what International shipping would bring it too.

jimsudz
05-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Wendel's Maple and More a Leader dealer in East Concord NY have designed an automatic defoamer dispenser.They sell them but I'm not sure if Leader carries them.Give Nick or Marty a call at 716-592-2299.

brookledge
05-22-2015, 09:35 PM
I bought a foam fighter and it worked very well this year. Very pleased

Jason Howles
06-04-2015, 07:10 PM
I bought a new dominion & grimm 3-1/2 x 14 computer automated evaporator this year. It has a built in auto deforming unit which worked absolutely awesome. I can control which section of the pans the defoamer drips in as well as how much. Along with that and the automated level & fire controls I had continuous syrup flow off the evaporator all the time. I can talk in the sugar house now without having to worry about constantly watching everything and squirting defoamer

cbmapleguy
01-11-2017, 07:37 AM
Jason,

Does auto defoamer drip are regular intervals or is it triggered by a temp change / foam level?

maple flats
01-11-2017, 08:26 AM
I just bought one from Glen Goodrich. True to form, it came with no instructions.
It is designed for use with Atmos (or likely other similar defoamers). There is an adjustment valve on top and I'm guessing it just drips in at regular intervals based on how much the valve is opened. Glen gets $40 and Bascom has one that looks the same for $73.

ennismaple
01-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Bruce - We bought the CDL dripper and will try it out this spring. The drip rate is controlled by a needle valve.

Homestead Maple
01-12-2017, 11:47 AM
I've used one of the needle valve types for 10 years now and they work very well for the most part. I set the valve so that it drips about every 20 seconds, give or take. Atmos thined with a small amount of water works good.

Baker's Maple
02-27-2018, 05:22 PM
I just got an automatic defoamer unit form Leader and tried it today. Difficult to adjust but got it set. Now how do I shut it down for the night? And what does that top thing do?