PDA

View Full Version : The science behind "Buddiness"

maplematt
04-06-2014, 11:56 AM
We have a bunch of silver maples tapped this year. We have been batch testing and when we did, 2 trees (both with 3 taps) tasted buddy. Then the temps dropped significantly. A week later i tested again just for the hell of it, and it doesn't taste buddy anymore!

Can buddiness come and go depending on the weather, or once it happens its done for the season?

Could we be mistaking buddy and scorched flavors?

Does anyone really know how how it works, and could you all chime in and help describe the buddy flavor. I thought I new what it tasted like, but now I'm questioning myself!

Thanks

happy thoughts
04-06-2014, 12:05 PM
I asked the same question a few weeks ago about early metabolic sap and never got an answer. My taps are always out before any budding so never lasted to the old dirty sock smell most people describe it as. The worst I've gotten is dark syrup that smells like hot wet cardboard when boiling and I know my season is over.

Earlier today someone suggested leaving a tap in until budding is evident and then boiling the sap. I thought that was a really good suggestion. It's supposed to be a smell you never forget. It probably would be good to smell it once for future reference.

maplematt
04-06-2014, 01:23 PM
that is a good idea, i thought i might try doing that...i have never gotten a "smell" while cooking it down, just a weird taste.