PDA

View Full Version : draw off valve: ball vs gate

Ragged View
04-06-2014, 08:02 AM
OK, I don't get it.
The 3 evaporators I have boiled on have all had ball valves for drawing off. These valves, by design, are hard to regulate flow out of. A gate valve is operated by turning, and able to be turned a tiny fraction of a revolution at a time, making for the ability for fine adjustment of draw off rate. A ball valve, operated by a lever "works" the side of the pan it is attached to as you crank it back and forth between not-quite-enough and just-a-little-too-much.
What logic am I missing that makes mfg.s use ball valves?
Mark

grimmreaper
04-06-2014, 09:32 AM
I prefer the ball valve...in case of letting a draw quick when temps climb fast(also could force out sugar sand)....or close the valve quick if empting too fast...gate valves don't have the ability to operate quickly as my needed...my opinion...

sapman
04-06-2014, 09:56 AM
In my business, we always use ball valves. Considered more reliable. I do get what you're saying about gate valves for regulating flow. I've thought about them, too. But I think they can plug easier with niter, etc. If you can keep a close eye on things all the time, they may be ok.

NTBugtraq
04-06-2014, 01:01 PM
You could simply use both, allowing a quick shut off or opening, and a flow regulating capability...;-] If I was going to do that, I'd have the gate valve closest to the pan.

Cheers,
Russ