PDA

View Full Version : word to the wise - be sure and use new filters

Graciesdad
04-06-2014, 06:48 AM
I boiled down about 60 gallons and filtered off about a gallon and a half of nice syrup yesterday using an old felt filter I had purchased with a bunch of other sugering stuff. The filter was as clean and.new looking as could be just old. Long story short, it left a nasty musty taste in the syrup ruining the whole batch. Lesson learned the hard way.

68bird
04-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Reheat it and filter it again in a good filter, should take care of it.

abbott
04-06-2014, 12:08 PM
If that "bad" filter is the synthetic type (orlon) it should still be good too if you wash it in hot water. Some people like to put them through the washing machine (no soap.) I give them 3-4 hot rinses by hand.

Graciesdad
04-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Nope it was an old felt filter. I bought new filters today so will try again.

Revi
04-07-2014, 01:15 PM
We always chuck them at the end of the season, and usually a couple of times during it. This season was so short we have only used one.

Definitely not worth keeping them!

Graciesdad
04-10-2014, 06:06 AM
We always chuck them at the end of the season, and usually a couple of times during it. This season was so short we have only used one.

Definitely not worth keeping them!

Great advice..... bought some new filters and made another gallon and a half of medium amber. Still learning but pretty much addicted.

PerryW
04-10-2014, 06:36 AM
I can't remember the last time I bought filters. Probably 10 years. Hot hot water and let dry thoughly and you shouldn't have a problem. Even my prefilters are more than 4 years old.