PDA

View Full Version : It was a wonderful maple season

killingworthmaple
04-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Hi all we had a great maple season here in CT. I boiled on a new to me evaporator I picked up a intense o fire arch and custom ordered some new pans from Smokey Lake Maple wow what fun boiling on a professional rig. I want to thank the ones that answered my call for help about boiling technique the advise helped a lot. Once the pans were sweetened I was able to draw off constantly for an hour or two at a time keeping the stack temp around 900. The rig boils off around 45 gallons an hour. Even though the weather was cold we were able to make 60 gallons of syrup. We had a perfect weather day for our open house with family and friends. Now it's time to think about planting the garden.

Nathan

Revi
04-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Glad you had a great season. Here it's been fun, but not much syrup. It was really cold all through March, so we really just got started about a week ago. We are going to end up with a lot less syrup than usual, but at least we finally got some!

hodorskib
04-05-2014, 09:13 PM
We finished up with a better than average season 17 gallons from 64 taps however the sugar content was the lowest in years averaging below 1.5% but the little RO did a great job again this year and all was good in the end. Hope everyone that is still going has a few more days.

markct
04-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Im just finishing up chasing the sweet out of the evap right now. Had a good freeze last night but just barely weeping except for one sugarbush so i decided to boil what i had and turn off the vac pump

Burnt sap
04-11-2014, 08:42 PM
Good for you Nathan, Getting ready to pull the plug here. Not a good season for us over all, not the worst we have seen I'd say we broke even and it looked like a great season then bam! Mother nature kicked us in the balls.