PDA

View Full Version : An update from River Falls

motowbrowne
04-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Well, the forecast doesn't show any freezing temps in the 7 day, but I feel pretty happy about what we've gotten so far.

Started slowly, I was hoping for sap over last weekend, but it didn't really happen. Then had three good runs this week including a good 12 hour session yesterday. Some taps ran 3 gallons from noon to midnight. Hoping today will run hard too.

Have cooked about 25 gallons so far and have 300 gallons of sap in tanks and at least that on the trees.

How's everyone else doing?

motowbrowne
04-20-2014, 09:26 PM
Well, we got a lot of sap between my last post Friday the 5th and Monday the 7th. I have about 420 taps this year and 1000 gallons of storage, but that wasn't enough. Nice weather for cooking Monday Tuesday and Wednesday too. No freezes that week, but still got a little sap.

Then this week froze up again and we got a good deal more sap. Unfortunately, after the warm stretch, many of our taps started drying up, which was really too bad because the ones that were running were running really hard. Some taps put out 3 gallons in eight hours.

So, this season will be a success for us. Not much more than a quart per tap, which is a little low for us, but I'm not gonna complain at all about making over 100 gallons.

Hope you guys up north are gonna keep getting sap for a few days.