PDA

View Full Version : Questions….please

Crushnbugs
04-05-2014, 07:49 AM
I have a few questions as a newbie….

First, how long will my collected sap be good until? Should I be cooking it right away or will it hold in a cool basement? I had about 15 gallons at 45 degrees in the basement. This batch had a cloudy look to it.

After cooking it off yesterday it all came out very dark, and has a carmel taste to it. Im not sure if its something I did or is this because the sap was sitting and possibly having micro bacterial growth. Or was this due to some sugars caramelizing on the sides of the pan when I was reducing and when I added more sap, these sugars dissolved into the batch giving it that taste.

I have another 25 gallons under refrigeration and holding at 34 degrees and that all looks nice and clear. I just don't want to do the same thing to my last batch of collected sap if it is something I did….

Finally, are there any suggestions as to what I can do with this carmel tasting syrup? Will I be ok making it into maple cream?

Its not just too strong a flavor, because I lov dark B syrup and prefer the strong taste over the light A amber stuff any day.

THANK YOU!!!!

happy thoughts
04-05-2014, 09:43 AM
First, how long will my collected sap be good until? Should I be cooking it right away or will it hold in a cool basement? I had about 15 gallons at 45 degrees in the basement. This batch had a cloudy look to it.

The colder you can keep it and the sooner you can cook it the better. Treat it like milk. Would milk stored in your basement last as long as you've stored your sap? 45*F is warmer than a fridge. Colder would be better. You can freeze sap in water bottles and put them in your containers to keep the sap colder but it should still be cooked as soon as possible.

After cooking it off yesterday it all came out very dark, and has a carmel taste to it. Im not sure if its something I did or is this because the sap was sitting and possibly having micro bacterial growth. Or was this due to some sugars caramelizing on the sides of the pan when I was reducing and when I added more sap, these sugars dissolved into the batch giving it that taste.

It could be either or both. Old sap makes darker syrup. But also try not to fill above the scorch line when adding sap to your pans.

I have another 25 gallons under refrigeration and holding at 34 degrees and that all looks nice and clear.

You should be good to go then. Sorry I can't answer the cream question because I've never attempted it.

Sugarmaker
04-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Tap it in the early spring, gather it same day it runs, boil it same day it runs, enjoy it for the entire year! That's about as exciting as it gets. Don't over think this! Its a natural product.
Many folks come into our sugarhouse and the most ask questions are about color (grade) and flavor. We have some controls over these, but mother nature rules.

Remember anyone can make dark syrup.

A sugarmakers goal is to make the lightest syrup possible!

Doesn't always work that way and mother nature can say "no way"!
Regards,
Chris

Crushnbugs
04-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the advice, anyone have any experience making the maple cream?

Quagmire33
04-05-2014, 05:39 PM
I've made cream a couple times. Always had success with whatever grade I used. They say the lighter the syrup the better do to the invert suger content ( whatever that is ). But I've made great cream with dark amber syrup. What's the worst that can happen, doesn't crystallize properly? Who cares, put it on some ice cream and enjoy it anyways. As long as you don't burn it, it's still edible.

maple flats
04-06-2014, 06:56 AM
Not necessarily, my best seller is dark amber, until and if I sell out. In fact, the last time I ran out (a few yesrs ago, I referred a good customer (4-8 gal orders at a time) to another producer because I was real busy setting up drip irrigation in a drought, thinking my blueberry bushes looked like they might die. That producer told them that they pride themselves in light syrup. That customer then told me that they will wait for my dark next time, the 4 families who pool their order did not like the light at all, sweet but no flavor was their comment. They now order far ahead and store the extra in the freezer so they can always have dark syrup.

Clinkis
04-06-2014, 07:59 AM
I found the same. I always make a lot of nice light syrup and usually the last few runs it darkens up. My dark syrup is always the first to sell and I always have light left over. I know syrup producers pride themselves on making light syrup but darker syrup seems to be in higher demand most places.