PDA

View Full Version : filter for sap

donka
04-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Just wondering what you folks use to filter your sap (if anything) before it goes into the evaporator? I've had more debris getting into my buckets with the wind this year than normal. I've been using a wire strainer but i've noticed some finer particles make it through on occasion.

psparr
04-04-2014, 07:08 PM
I use prefilters. Flows through really fast, and if its good enough for syrup it must be good for sap.

Revi
04-04-2014, 08:50 PM
We use a sock filter that we put on the tubing with plastic ties. For the buckets we use a wire filter as well. We don't have that many buckets, so it works.

donka
04-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Maybe I need to find a smaller mesh strainer, or throw a prefilter over the one I'm using to pick up the smaller stuff. Thanks for the replies.

KevinS
04-04-2014, 11:00 PM
I pour in to barrels in the back of the truck. So I take burlap coffee bags and put one over the top of each barrel. since I leave a lip in the inside top rim of the barrel. The bag covers the whole hole. I use the tightest mesh bags. ( different plantations use much different bags) with going through two layers it keeps all the big stuff out. if the sap looks perfectly clean that is all I use. if there is a lot of wind born dust that got in the buckets. then I pump though a whole house water filter when pumping it up to the gravity feed tank for the evap.
It is very important to make sure the bag is never soaking in the sap. I do feel it picks up a little taste if it soaks. I have never noticed a bit of off taste from it if it just runs through it. The burlap I use is tight enough that once the ants are busy at the buckets. they do not wash through the bag.
I get the bags for free since I buy green coffee.

StayinLowTech
04-05-2014, 06:50 AM
I use one of the permanent coffee filters - they have a very fine gold colored mesh and usually come with a strap type handle. I cut a notch in the 3/4 black pipe coming in the tank and hang it by the handle under the stream of sap. Every so often you can knock the junk out or pour water through the opposite way to clean. So far they have lasted for years.

CPlace
04-05-2014, 06:51 AM
I've had the best luck with a milk strainer with filters. The paper filters are cheap and replace them with a new one each time I collect. It works well when filtering large amounts of sap quickly as well.

dblact38
04-05-2014, 07:36 AM
I use my white tee-shirts, cut to size, with a wire mesh strainer. Works great for me & just wash them & reuse it

miner1
04-08-2014, 09:27 PM
I have some tee short cloth zip tied to a soft copper hoop that fits over the 50 gal. screw top barrel, just pour it slow to avoid sloping over, then I cloths pin a grease filter to the top of the preheater box, for a final filter. Late in the season the grease filter needs frequent cleaning due to the cream colored yeast poop.

bowhunter
04-09-2014, 06:02 AM
I've also had really good luck with the cone syrup pre-filters. This was the first year with my RO and it has a 5 micron prefilter. I had no problems with debris getting into the pre-filter when I used the syrup pre-filter to filter sap.

highlandcattle
04-09-2014, 06:31 AM
We also use a milk strainer with the filter papers. You can buy a box for a few dollars. These will last you for years.