PDA

View Full Version : Hooks for 5/16 ss spouts and flat covers?

Biz
04-04-2014, 11:44 AM
I recently picked up a few 5/16" stainless steel spouts to try. I think they are CDL's. They have a standard type hook to hang a bucket but it doesn't hold flat covers. It seems like it would be simple to design a hook that holds the bucket on the bottom of the spout, circles the spout, and is able to hold the cover on the top side. Perhaps just a pair of loops in the wire hook on either side of the spout, or attach (weld) a bolt spacer (cylindrical) which goes above the spout. It isn't possible to keep the bucket from swinging like the conventional bucket spouts do, but that isn't a big deal. So, has anybody thought about this or seen anything like this that is available?

Dave

KevinS
04-05-2014, 12:04 AM
I think I am fond of having the lid attach to the bucket. But the only experience I have with the lids attached to the spile and not the bucket are the three I drove by everyday that a gal in town had out. some times in the wind the lid was flopped up and the bucket was hanging sideways in the wind while it looked to me the sap was dripping on the ground.

KevinS
04-05-2014, 12:07 AM
but I will acknowledge it was handy to drive by and be able to see how much sap was in those plastic buckets.

Biz
04-07-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm just looking for options. I have some trees that aren't mine that I am required to use 5/16" tap on. Got new plastic buckets, covers, and 5/16" plastic spouts but I don't like the plastic spouts, had several pull out of the tree. Ended up using some old 7/16" spouts which NEVER pull out, however the cover doesn't flip up all the way so emptying is difficult. Maybe need to go to a smaller tapping bit next time - but I like the idea of the stainless spouts.

And I can see the level in the plastic buckets even with the covers on! :)

Dave

RollinsOrchards
04-08-2014, 10:23 PM
I dislike flat covers. It always seems to me that the flat covers direct the drips of sap over the edge of the bucket.

We made a bunch of covers from regular aluminum flashing. It seems to me that we cut a strip 14 or 15 inches long, bent in the middle and folded over the ends and they make a nice A roof over the bucket. If you want to be fancy you can use a colored coil stock instead of plain aluminum color.

PerryW
04-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Not sure if this will help or not but I made a bunch of hooks from the same 9 gauge steel wire that you hang mainline on. Just a pair of pliers and a pair if visegrips (or a vice) and you could experiment with different hook designs.

mike z
05-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Yes, it seems as if the maple industry went so far with the smaller diameter spouts and stopped short of a something compatible for flat covers and stainless. Not sure why. Seems like there would be a market and should be a fairly straight forward design. I use flat covers but I'm considering changing to the roof style. I really hate dealing with those darn sticky pins and would like to use the 5/16 taps for tree health.