PDA

View Full Version : First Boil in my Sugar House / Mason 2x4…Lessons Learned

bigschuss
04-03-2014, 08:29 PM
After a slow start to the season things are finally picking up here in northwest Mass., and I was able to boil today for the first time in my new sugar house on my Mason 2x4. I built the timber frame sugar house 2 years ago and was ready this year to put it t use. I had a blast! After spending 8 years on my backyard rig where it would take me 12 hours to batch boil down 35 gallons, today I boiled 30 gallons in about 4 hours. Had some friends and family over. Cracked a beer open (or two….maybe 3?)…threw some hotdogs in the pan and cooked them up. Great time.

Here are some initial observations I made today:

1. A little tricky at first matching the rate of new sap into the pan to the rate of boil.
2. The pre-heather that came with my 2x4 does not work well at all. Need to figure out something different for next year.
3. I know that I am supposed to calibrate my pan thermometer to boiling water before each boil, but I realized today that by leaving sap in my pan overnight or for a few days before my next boil that will be impossible. Any tips?
4. I'm really not sure what the boxes on each side of my pan are for? Of course each little box has a draw-off valve….but does the box itself have a point?
5. I'm happy with my cupola. It doesn't have a lot of height, but it is 8 feet long. Vented steam well.
6. My stack out the back wall I'm also happy with…get a real nice draft.

Thanks to everybody who's helped me over the past few years with advice about getting up and running. It feels good to be finally up and running.

NTBugtraq
04-04-2014, 06:09 AM
3. I know that I am supposed to calibrate my pan thermometer to boiling water before each boil, but I realized today that by leaving sap in my pan overnight or for a few days before my next boil that will be impossible. Any tips?

Each day put your thermo in the boiling sap nearest your float box, as that will be the least concentrated

Cheers,
Russ.

T22A80
04-04-2014, 06:31 AM
I like the looks of your sugar house!

bigschuss
04-05-2014, 06:27 AM
Each day put your thermo in the boiling sap nearest your float box, as that will be the least concentrated

Cheers,
Russ.

Thanks Russ.

bigschuss
04-05-2014, 06:28 AM
I like the looks of your sugar house!

Thanks T22A80.

bowtie
04-05-2014, 08:20 PM
The boxes on the side are there to make drawing or emptying your pan easier, by putting the valve on the bottom of the box it allows you empty pan when you are done And the pan is cool. Wish my smoky lake pan had one, the valve will not draw any lower than about 3/8 inch. Just spent about hour using a turkey baster drawing out mostly finished sap so I would not be mixing batches. What a pain in the butt!!

CampHamp
04-05-2014, 08:53 PM
I know that I am supposed to calibrate my pan thermometer to boiling water before each boil, but I realized today that by leaving sap in my pan overnight or for a few days before my next boil that will be impossible. Any tips?

I don't calibrate mine either. I test with a hydrometer and when it's syrup density, I mark the temp in my mind and remember that my next draw off for that day will be at that same temp (i.e. I don't bother with the hydrometer until it gets close to temp again). Also, I know that I can keep drawing off until that temp drops and if it is rising, then even more dense syrup is coming to the tap.