PDA

View Full Version : Tapping In Vermont

Flatfoot95
01-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Did anyone see the news last evening. There are some people in VT taking advantage of the weather and are tapping trees. They are producing light amber syrup too. Makes me wonder if I am missing an unique opportunity.

maplwrks
01-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Easy Flatfoot!!
These sugarmakers are huge. They must start tapping in Jan, just to finish by mid-Feb. If you were to look back at the threads from last Jan., you would find the same remarks being made about the same sugarmakers. You aren't missing a thing, though it is a little unnerving!

Pete33Vt
01-06-2007, 04:29 AM
I had posted a notice in another topic but I will here to. He started tapping in Nov. His bush is on the other side of the mountain from me. And yes it is unnevering. there is a big sugar bush right behind my house (I think they are up to about 28,000-30,000) and they are just getting going on tapping. With that many trees you have to start earlier. And by the time you are done they have all gone throught there run cycle. I am just watching to see how long he can go as far as sap runs. Myself I am waiting until the frist week of Feb. Unless we go to deep frezze. I still have alot of work that needs to be done before I can start.

Also on the local new a guy from the UVM extension service that with global warming we could end up with a sugaring season thats 5 months long. (gonna need alot more wood).

But who know, mother natures hard to figure!!!

Good luck to all no matter when you tap!!!

Pete

archangel_cpj
01-06-2007, 06:56 AM
Is it good for the trees to tap for so long and push em so hard??????

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Global warming, what idiots. I won't deny it isn't a reality but this weather has nothing to do with this. Back in 1887, they didn't get any snow the entire month of Dec in NY, bet they were crying global warming. It is just one of the weather cycles we are going thru. Let the jet stream drop down into the southern part of the US for 2 months and it will be worse than cold. :lol: :lol: When the jet streams stays that high, it has to stay warm. :idea:

Fred Henderson
01-06-2007, 09:19 AM
If anyone should be worried about the weather and tapping its me. I just made a big investment. I am not at all worried when it does start I will bee ready. :D

802maple
01-06-2007, 03:13 PM
I may be wrong but I think this sugarmaker is involved in some kind of project where he got a grant to start early so that the pressure is taken off so to speak.

Pete33Vt
01-07-2007, 04:11 AM
It could be he might have gotten a grant to start early. Or he could be just taking a chance and trying. A few of us mentioned during rifle season in Nov that the weather would be great for sugaring. And I feel the same on global warming as Brandon does. All thought I don't think they wooried to much about it in 1887 while they were shoveling coal into everything. As I told my wife last night. I'll be ready and tapped by mid Feb. And just wait and see after that.

Good luck to all
Pete

oneoldsap
02-11-2007, 08:42 AM
It's been a few days since I've heard anyone mention tapping. Here in Addison Cty. VT it hasen't gotten above freezing in a couple of weeks, and the ten day forecast isnt calling for any above freezing temps either. Perfect! just what I ordered. Now if it will just hold on for another month I'll be a happy camper! Anybody care to make a Prediction? We should start a pool to see who can come closest to the first four days above 40 degrees. THOUGHTS?

Russell Lampron
02-11-2007, 08:46 AM
I would like to see it thaw so that I can tap the 24th and 25th two weeks from now.

Russ

oneoldsap
02-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Now Russ you don't want to see it warm that soon do ya? When we make the mistake of tapping in Feb. it always freezes up again for about two weeks. That causes problems in the sugarhouse with pipes freezing and what not, I'd rather wait untill Mar. Loudon NH is a ways south of us I've been to Holderness which I think isn't too far from you. Worked on a fancy camp on Little Squam Lake. I remember it was during the Laconia bike week, there were bitichin bikes everywhere. So if it warms up down there for you in Feb tou have at it, I just hope it don't get this far north for a while!

Russell Lampron
02-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Old sap,

The season usually starts and ends about 2 weeks earlier here than in northern VT. The last 2 seasons were short here so I would like to see one that is 5 to 6 weeks long for a change.

Russ

Al
02-11-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm tapping on the 6th of March. Have a new finishing rig coming tomorrow.:) Still haven't figured out the icon thing or how to insert a pic. No big deal thou! Finished up the sugar house jobs and have to finish up my ridge line and I'm ready to go. Nice thing about 140 buckets is if it gets here early about half a day and I'm ready.

Hey I think I figured the icons out!

oneoldsap
02-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Roger that Russ I hope you're right on the money, hope you get your 6 weeks of sugaring too. I wouldnt mind 6 weeks myself I'd love to make over 1000Gals of syrup. I'd like to tap the first week of march. Good Luck!

Russell Lampron
02-12-2007, 05:33 AM
Thank you Old sap,

Lets hope the weather gods are going to smile on us this year. Hope your season goes well too. A six week season would be nice but I'll take what I can get and be happy with that.

Russ