PDA

View Full Version : Well 2 of my friends are out

archangel_cpj
01-05-2007, 03:12 PM
said the winters been too warm and they arent tapping this year is this sentiment spreading and founded I hope not but I do see their point if the warm weather holds the season may well be a bad one Im still tapping though.

Fred Henderson
01-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Your profile don't tell me what state you live in so its pretty hard for me to give you advice. :roll:

maplwrks
01-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Sugarmakers are like Red Sox fans. We've been saying "wait til next year" for 8 months. Spring isn't even here yet, and your buddies are throwing in the towel???? Tap those trees, take what Mother Nature gives ya, turn into liquid gold and be happy with what we got!!!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Mike,

Great attitude! :D :D :D :D I'm with you 100%! :D

archangel_cpj
01-06-2007, 12:41 PM
I have to tap I am just completing a new sugar shack and have a evaporator bought from turtle maple farms to try out. Im actually aining for 1st week in Feb think Im too early?????

Brad W Wi
01-06-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm going to tap. I built a new sugar shack, got a new evaporator, added 300 more pails and am having knee problems and facing surgery. I told my wife yesterday if I have to crawl on my belly like a snake I'm tapping. I'm retiring in a week and a half and I went through a lot to get everything ready. I won't miss it. Let it come 'cause I'll be out there.

maplehound
01-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Brad,
My knees bother me too. I always felt the same untill they decided to fuse 2 disc in my back. Now I think my wife would chain me down before she would let me tap this year. So I just look at my new hood and preheater and hope for next year.
Ron

Brad W Wi
01-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Maplehound, I know the feeling. My wife worries about me too. I feel sorry for you as I would really hate to miss a season. If you were closer I'd invite you up you could ride the 6 wheeler or sit in the shack. I always figure there smarter people out there then me and I could pick you brain on sugarin'. I spent every weekend this past summer working on the building with a friend of mine and come hell or high water I will be out there "IF" only for a week. But I know it will be longer than that. Good luck on getting you back in shape.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-06-2007, 06:09 PM
archangel_cpj,

Are you in northern OH or southern?? I try to aim for around the 10th of Feb here and I am south of you. :)

archangel_cpj
01-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Thats Northeast Ohio

Sugarbear
01-07-2007, 09:06 AM
I think some people worry too much.As far as I am concerned it is the weather from when you tap until when you finish is all that matters.As mentioned above this weather is not the result of global warming.Weather seems to go in cycles and we are in a warm one now.They say the average temps have risen a few degrees in the last couple hundred years but how acurate were the thermometers way back then.Do you suppose Al Gores great-great-grandfather invented the thermometer?

mapleman3
01-07-2007, 09:34 AM
it gets COLD every... EVERY Jan and Feb... it WILL happen... oh yes.. IT WILL TAP THOSE TREES AS YOU NORMALLY WOULD !! NOT too early and not too late ! Have Faith!