PDA

View Full Version : Using Off flavored syrup. Grade C.

Sandersyrup
04-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Ok so the last batch of syrup I made is off flavored. I am assuming it is "buddy", I also have some sweet in the pan that smells similar and does not taste good (its sweet but almost blah, just not good) and I have about 40 gallons of sap remaining to process. Maybe 2 gallons C syrup potential total, processed and unprocessed.

Questions:
1) Should I finish my sap and make off flavored syrup.
2) What can I use this syrup for?
3) Can I Flavor it to mask its off flavor?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Bentley Wood Maple
04-03-2014, 08:16 AM
We always seperate out the last few qts/ gallons of syrup made at the end of the year and use it for cooking and baking. Stuff I am talking about is very dark, even blackish with a strong maple flavor but not so sweet. And it is miserable to get through the filters. As long as we can get it filtered we keep running.

Sandersyrup
04-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Just made some pretty bland tasting bananna bread. So far I'm leaning toward fertilizing the lawn with it. or making some kind of wine.

Also considering blending it with very good tasting dark/grad B to get better flavor.

happy thoughts
04-03-2014, 10:57 AM
John, why not try some candy or sugar? If your syrup is really buddy, bringing it to high temps can help remove the metabolic flavor sometimes. Might be a good time to try the maple nut recipe. This thread has some good pics and instructions.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?14952-Maple-nuts-for-beginners&highlight=maple+nuts

wiam
04-03-2014, 10:43 PM
John, why not try some candy or sugar? If your syrup is really buddy, bringing it to high temps can help remove the metabolic flavor sometimes. Might be a good time to try the maple nut recipe. This thread has some good pics and instructions.

http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?14952-Maple-nuts-for-beginners&highlight=maple+nuts

My experience. Off flavor syrup makes off flavor candy. If you heat it enough to make sugar some off flavors will go away.

PerryW
04-03-2014, 10:57 PM
My experience. Off flavor syrup makes off flavor candy. If you heat it enough to make sugar some off flavors will go away.

I agree with Wiam.

If it is truly buddy syrup, it's not even good for cooking. Some bulk packers will buy it as commerical but I don't think they pay much

happy thoughts
04-04-2014, 07:35 AM
I agree with Wiam.

If it is truly buddy syrup, it's not even good for cooking. Some bulk packers will buy it as commerical but I don't think they pay much

Then I guess fertilizer it is, John! You're going to have some happy ants, lol.

Sandersyrup
04-04-2014, 11:09 PM
I made 5 gallons of Acerglyn. We'll see what happens. It's my last hope. If it's good I'll add more syrup to up the alcohol content.

Thanks for your ideas guys!

Rockport
04-13-2014, 12:39 PM
I have about a quart of off tasting syrup and was wandering what can be done with it . I smelled it when I was finishing it and ask the wife to sample and she thought it was just stronger but after sitting a week or so bottled we opended it and it has a bad smell and a aftertaste. Maybe wine ? if anyone has any ideas I am open ..

Russell Lampron
04-13-2014, 04:46 PM
I use the nastiest stuff I make for making baked beans. My wife won a baking contest with them.