PDA

View Full Version : Boil speed

Vic99
04-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Does the time it takes to boil syrup affect it in any way? For example: color, sweetness, sand production, etc.

When I use seasoned pine, I get hotter fires and thus a more vigorous boil than with aspen or red maple. Is there any advantage to have a slower boil, beyond less foam, and more time for beer consumption?

wnybassman
04-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Does the time it takes to boil syrup affect it in any way? For example: color, sweetness, sand production, etc.

When I use seasoned pine, I get hotter fires and thus a more vigorous boil than with aspen or red maple. Is there any advantage to have a slower boil, beyond less foam, and more time for beer consumption?

When boiling I often wish it took twice as long. :lol:

happy thoughts
04-02-2014, 09:20 PM
I think it depends on your set up. Continuous flow and batch boiling are two different animals. Sweetness and sand production won't be affected either way except that a faster boil will get you sweeter sooner. Sand will be sand depending on the minerals dissolved in the sap you start with. That's pretty much up to the tree on any given day. Color might be affected if you're burning so hot you're burning sugar especially on the pan sides. On our dropped in steam pan block arch we've found a moderate but good steady boil the best with less splashing, foaming, and burnt sugar on the pan sides that darken syrup. Takes a little more time but our color improved from asphalt colored to medium and dark amber.

Sugarmaker
04-03-2014, 12:00 AM
Typically longer slower boil will result in darker syrup.
Regards,
Chris

maplefool
04-04-2014, 11:54 AM
What's the average boil off rate (gal/hr) of a 2 x 4 flat pan?
I'm trying to figure out how well my homemade arch is performing/comparing...

Big_Eddy
04-04-2014, 01:08 PM
2x4 flat pan, no blower, no preheat - 8-10gph firing steadily with wrist sized wood.
With a preheater, add 10-15%
With a blower, add 50%

Lots of variables.

5050racing
04-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Did you do a test,I believe it with the blower it really boils away,I feel it doubled my rate.

theguywiththename
04-04-2014, 09:54 PM
i dont find my blower gives me a better boil rate but actually a slower one. wether its because i have 18' of stak and a damper closed a bit to give the same effect i dont know.

5050racing
04-05-2014, 07:02 AM
Where does it enter? Mine enters under the fire I have a 2" hole 12" from the door plumbed to the blower underneath with a 2" space over where it enters the fire covered by a steel plate 8" dia so ash won't clog it,looks like a burner on a stove when burning,my rate doubled with blower,me a small operation but boil 180 gal batches sometime 200 and cut time in half,the blower has 3 speeds most of the time on low but I finished all my syrup on my evaporator this year by burning the wood down on high and controlling heat with the blower works great! The door never did this till the blower installed9579

maplefool
04-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Wow, 50% with a bower, eh?
I wish I had electricity...
My preheater is copper tubing around my stove pipe, coming from a 60 gallon barrel.
I'm averaging 10 gph with a regular draft, but I'm boiling off too fast for my coil to heat any SAP significantly.
It's a steady stream, and I probably needed to double my coil length.
It's fun tinkering with it anyhow.
Thanks, folks.

5050racing
04-06-2014, 07:06 AM
I hear of people using a squirrel fan out of a car/truck heater with a 12 volt battery out of a car/truck put a $25 solar charger on it?