PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody tapping this year

SUGARSMITH
01-05-2007, 01:34 PM
With the weather being so mild this winter and no cold weather in sight, are people still planning on tapping in CT. I am thinking I might be out this year if there isnt a huge turn in weather.

Thoughts from others ?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Way too early to push the panic button yet. Just hit the staples "easy" button. :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the mid of Fed would be a better time to speculate. Cold weather is supposed to be coming in small spurts soon. :D

NH Maplemaker
01-05-2007, 04:54 PM
I 'm with Brandon, a lot can happen in a month :!: A lot of years back, we had a winter that it snow only one time all winter, and that melted :!: It turned out to be a very good year for production 8O. So all we realy need is some cold weather :lol: and we will be home free :wink: So keep the faith,it's still early yet :!: Jim L.

maplwrks
01-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Hang on fellas!! Don't push any buttons yet. In the past, when we've had strong el nino weather patterns, the sap has run like crazy. The only button I would push would be my snooze button! Get some rest, we'regoing to need it!!!!!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-05-2007, 09:29 PM
2 years ago it hardly froze here the entire month of Dec and the first half of Jan and then it got cold and stayed that way until almost the end of March. Season is usually over here by the middle of March but it went almost all the way to the end of March. In fact, the season was 7 weeks and it was almost too cold the entire season. Couldn't hardly make anything but light or med and it was in the single digits more than once in March when I lit a fire in the evaporator which is unheard of here.

Just pray hard and if it's meant to be, it will. One thing you have to remember is that you can make 75 to 80% of a crop in a 6 to 10 day period if the weather hits right! :idea: :D Not any reason for alarm. If I was in mountainvans shoes, I would do the exact thing he does. I have 3 bushes and I would probably tap the largest one which has 225 taps and leave the other 275 until later. But I have a 4 year old, a 13 month old and a full time job and live nearly 1/2 hour from the sugarhouse, so I don't want to spend 3 months away from the family as they come first. :D

PF
01-06-2007, 09:29 PM
I was thinking that same question today as I thought I saw the grass growing! But having only about 20 taps I'll probably do it when the cold weather finally gets here.

Central Connecticut

scw
01-15-2007, 01:49 PM
I was wondering the same. Trees were running a few weeks back, but looks like it is going to get cold just in time. Just put out some new lines and expanded my hobby operation to 100 taps. Hope it will be worth it this year anyway.

wkies
01-16-2007, 12:27 PM
With some cold weather finally getting in here, I'm planning on tapping sometime after first week of Feb. Traditionally, I tap around early Feb (SW Connecticut) and will stick by it.

I was wondering, with so little cold this season would anyone wait until the cold has settled in for a while or would you tap at the usual time with only limited cold weather during previous months? Should I expect low sugar content? Any impacts on trees?

Thanks.

scw
01-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Got my lines up and these cold temps are encouraging. They were running on Friday. Getting antsy to tap soon.

mapleman3
01-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Two words ...... WHY NOT ??

Fred Henderson
01-23-2007, 07:58 AM
I had thought that the whole season would be cancelled because of the way the winter started off.