PDA

View Full Version : Pulling New Clear CV

Grand Square Acres
04-02-2014, 02:44 PM
I bought 100 clear CV taps to try this year. Will not buy any more. Sure they work fine but when you go to pull your taps the end cap comes off in the tree. Out of 100 taps I had to go back through and dig out 78 caps. Just takes more time cause you have to go back through and dig the caps out. To top it off when I called Leader to see if this was normal they were very rude. The person I talked with said " Sounds like you have a problem. Good luck." then hung up on me. I for one will never buy another leader product. What really burns me is over the past 5 yrs I have spent over 30 grand with them. So remember when you go to pull your clear cv taps take a small piece of wire and put a small hook on one end so you can pull the caps as you are pulling taps.

Germanmaples
04-04-2014, 06:39 AM
Yes I have had same problem with them. You try to pull them and either they break or the tip comes off. A little glue would go along way. Another great invention back to the basics.

spud
04-05-2014, 05:44 AM
If the tip breaks in the tree then just leave it there. It is not hurting anything. The area that the tip is in is now dead wood forever. I tap some big old fence line maples that have barb wire fence running through the center of the tree. The only thing this is going to hurt is a chainsaw someday but the tips will never hurt anything.

Spud

brookledge
04-07-2014, 05:40 PM
I used a limited amount of them last year and had no problem with them and I haven't begone pulling taps this year so I will see how it goes

psparr
04-07-2014, 05:48 PM
I had them, but without the check ball. First year I had some trouble pulling them. This year I figured it out. Give it one quick pry. Jarring it good and they pop right out.

Randy Brutkoski
04-07-2014, 08:17 PM
i had the same problem last year. i will never use them again.

adk1
04-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Wow I guess I am glad that I stuck with the black ones

foursapssyrup
04-07-2014, 09:35 PM
we had about 30-40 out this year, no probelms pulling them. i actually had trouble pulling the ends off to plug them into the T.

WESTMAPLES
04-07-2014, 10:15 PM
ive pulled 78 leader clear cv`s out in one bush today of the 356 I put in, no problems just a quick pop and they where out. and foursap sounds like you have post t`s, cup t`s would be easier with no disassembly of check valve parts. im happy with how they worked and will buy more 300 more to add next year, with a new or used ro to keep pace. good luck pullin` um

stewardsdairy
05-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Just pulled a bunch of the new check valves with no problems. Had my doubts when a couple broke when tapping, but they have all pulled easy and stayed intact.

lakeview maple
05-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Out of 400 I put in this year half either broke the tip off or the tip and ball went flying when I pulled the tap. I thought these were one use taps?

sweetwater sugar shack
05-15-2014, 06:24 PM
That's what I thought what comes apart to b able to plug them

spud
05-16-2014, 04:01 PM
I pulled 6000 CV spouts with only a handful of the tips coming off. I will use no other spout but the CV from here on out in my woods.

Spud

Walling's Maple Syrup
05-16-2014, 06:13 PM
Between me and my father, we have over 11000 taps. This year, over 7000 of these were the CV2's, with the rest being cv1's. Only a small handful (8-10) out of 7000+ broke pulling the taps. These were our own fault for trying to pull them at an odd angle. All 11000+ taps will be cv2's next year.
Neil

TheMapleMoose
05-16-2014, 06:53 PM
I made out fine pulling mine also, with about the same fail rate as Spud and Walling. One quick snap and they popped right out.

Sunday Rock Maple
05-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Wallings,

We have 2,900 CV1's with stubby's (our third year with them). We like them and I haven't tried the CV2's yet but I'm interested in why you would switch the remaining 5,000 of yours over to the CV2. Is it vacuum, or yield or labor, Etc.

Thanks,

Walling's Maple Syrup
05-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Wallings,

We have 2,900 CV1's with stubby's (our third year with them). We like them and I haven't tried the CV2's yet but I'm interested in why you would switch the remaining 5,000 of yours over to the CV2. Is it vacuum, or yield or labor, Etc.

Thanks,Brian,
There are a few reasons, but the main one is they perform better for us. When we pulled taps this year, the cv2's were still running quite well, but the cv1's had all but quit. I feel this is mostly due to the black color of the cv1's absorbing more heat and getting contaminated quicker.
Also, the ball on the cv2 is closer to the tip of the spout, which gives a couple inches of new plastic before the old dropline. On the cv1, the ball is in the back of the spout, right next to the "dirty" stubby.
I guess the last reason is we get a few less leaks with the cv2 during the course of the season. Everytime a limb falls on a lateral line, it seems to pop the stubby or whole spout out of the tree, whereas the cv2's grip the tree better and rarely ever pop out.
Neil

adironmaple
05-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Had 3700 CV 2 out this year. Was alittle nervous after reading on here about high % breakage a while back. When we started pulling spouts we were trying to be careful when pulling and several did break. I bet I broke 10% trying to be gentile pulling. After maybe 50 spouts I quit being gentile and just gave them a quick push on the puller problem solved! Only broke a couple after a change in pulling method.

Sunday Rock Maple
05-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Thanks Neil,

Popping off is the one problem we have had with the CV1's. When it drops down to about zero we'll have about a half dozen separate from the stubby's and sometimes that can result in a lot of walking to get the vacuum back up.

maple flats
05-17-2014, 05:04 PM
We pulled 1250 clear CV2's, and only broke a few, maybe 5-6. We had not heard of an issue and just popped them out like we've done in the past with the old CV1's. I made up some pullers out of cheap Wonder Bar imitations by using a dremmel tool and grinding a U shape in the end of the short part. We just put it in against the fitting, under the larger portion on the CV2 head and popped them out.

sapman
05-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Pulled almost 2300, with none actually breaking. A few the tip came off uf, but no big deal. I much prefer the CV2 because they're clear (so you can see leaks), and reasons Walling's mentioned, especially the way they seal better. Like Brian said, it used to be after a hard freeze, it seemed like half the taps needs reseating to stop leaks.

GeneralStark
05-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Is it possible that the breakage issue is related to not using a proper tool to pull spouts? I have used a couple different "spout pullers" through the years and this year switched to a Loac aluminum tool I got through CDL. This is a far superior tool to the cheaper models and is designed for pulling modern spouts. I don't see how you could break a spout if using this tool.

I was talking to someone that was saying how much of a pain pulling spouts is and I asked what tool he uses. He said he uses a hammer.

unc23win
05-19-2014, 08:40 AM
I actually bent the handle on my puller so it had more of an angle on it and it helped pull the cv2 with one motion. It seems that there is a little more sticking out with the cv2 and I needed a little more reach. I always pull taps with tool above the spout and push it back straight against the tree. I had the tip come off of 2 before bending puller handle, both required more than one stroke.

Walling's Maple Syrup
05-19-2014, 09:15 AM
Is it possible that the breakage issue is related to not using a proper tool to pull spouts? I have used a couple different "spout pullers" through the years and this year switched to a Loac aluminum tool I got through CDL. This is a far superior tool to the cheaper models and is designed for pulling modern spouts. I don't see how you could break a spout if using this tool.

I was talking to someone that was saying how much of a pain pulling spouts is and I asked what tool he uses. He said he uses a hammer.Over the years, we have used many different kinds of pullers. I now own 2 of the Loac pullers. We have used these for 2 years now. They definitely are the best puller we have used. " You get what you pay for"

sergeaubin
10-24-2014, 03:03 PM
i read that these are one time use? what's the reason behind that.

GeneralStark
10-24-2014, 06:02 PM
i read that these are one time use? what's the reason behind that.

Microbes cause the taphole to close. Using a new spout every year reduces microbial contamination and extends the effective production period of the taphole.

Welcome to MapleTrader! There is tons of info on this subject here, and the search function works pretty well.:)

spud
10-24-2014, 10:43 PM
Microbes cause the taphole to close. Using a new spout every year minimizes microbial contamination and maximizes production.

Welcome to MapleTrader! There is tons of info on this subject here, and the search function works pretty well.:)

Just using a new spout every year will not maximize your production. Using a CV2 spout will maximize your production because it will not allow bacteria from the drop back into the tap hole. CV2 spouts should be used on the third year of you're tubing and then every year after that.

Spud

GeneralStark
10-25-2014, 06:17 AM
I changed it to minimize confusion.

maple flats
10-25-2014, 03:11 PM
As stated above, on 1250 CV2 we broke about 5 or 6. We will continue to use them for 2 main reasons, they seal better and if you have a leak at the tap you can see it. That makes finding and fixing leaks much faster.