PDA

View Full Version : Sap Storage

4045chad
04-02-2014, 06:17 AM
I am currently using an old milk tank for my bulk sap storage. Unfortunately before I purchased it the previous owner had removed the refridgeration unit. I cannot always boil my entire sap supply everyday. I am just wondering your thoughts on using the tank agitator to help prolong the shelf life of the sap? I have mixed opinions on this whether the movement may help delay any formation of bacteria or alternately the extra motion may cause friction heat in the liquid and which in turn would increase bacteria potential.

SPILEDRIVER
04-02-2014, 06:22 PM
ive stored mine for up to a week and havent had issues...never did anything to it but keep it out off the sunlight

RollinsOrchards
04-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Without refrigeration the agitation will only stir the sap and won't lower the temperature.

I collect enough ice early in the season to add to the tank and keep the temperature under 40.

Later in the season we gather sap early in the morning when the sap is coldest and the insulation of the milk tank keeps it cold.

West Sumner Sugar
04-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Just yesterday I buried 2 storage tanks in a pile of snow with the tractor. Should stay nice and cold in there.

brookledge
04-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Keep the lids closed during the day and at night open the lids so that the freezing temps c an get in
keith