PDA

View Full Version : April Journal

maple flats
04-02-2014, 05:09 AM
We went past April Fool's day and no journal yet.
I had a busy crazy day. Started by hauling sap, couldn't pump from my bigger bush, TF line still frozen. Then we started the evaporator and I forgot to open the valve to the front pan. As soon as I smelled burnt syrup, I ran and opened the valves (to both the float and the other side too, on a same side reverse pan. When we had the level good, we quit firing and let the fire nearly go out. We pulled to pan for cleaning, pumped the burnt syrup into a separate barrel, and hooked up my other pan. The burnt one was not damaged and the mess was all in just 1 section and just looked like a thin flat black scorch on the bottom. While we boiled in the other pan I ran my homemade pan washer for about 4 hrs. Then I shut down and came home.
While all this was going on, my RO was running on my sap pump because the RO feed pump bust it's pump housing. Then the sap pump did the same thing. I had to get another pump. A new feed pump is on it's way, should be here in a day or 2 along with a replacement housing for the bad feed pump. Now I've got to order a housing (and maybe a spare) for my sap pump.

Clarkfield Farms
04-02-2014, 06:23 AM
On top of everything else that you had to do, too! I still think those cast pump housings are of inferior quality from one particular country of origin. I was amazed the way that sap pump split right before my eyes. Oh well, it's now April 2nd and -- um, well it's April 2nd. :D I wish you a better day today!

maple flats
04-02-2014, 08:28 AM
Thanks Tim. I just got home from work and checked in to thank you for your help. It's always a pleasure having you help, even when the rest of the day is less than perfect. I think Tyler would have had a real problem when the S*#t hit the fan without your more experienced approach there to lend expertise to the situation.
In my 16 yrs of driving bus I cut it the closest ever. At the middle school I'm first in line, but I got there 2 minutes before the kids started coming out. I don't know if you noticed, but it for some reason took 4-5 minutes to get my truck out of low range, which didn't help!

Clarkfield Farms
04-02-2014, 12:18 PM
lol... I heard it revving a bit high and thought that it was making a lot of noise for going slow. For what it's worth, even with lockout hubs mine didn't want to come out of 4WD for a little while after disengaged when I hit the highway. This sloppy soil is getting old!

Tyler's a great young man, I'll bet you're really pleased to have him working for you. He's a good worker, conscientious, and anticipates what needs to be done. Someone who could work equally well alone or as any part of a team. hmmm, I guess that's why he and your grandson Adam are friends, huh? :D Anyways, I'm glad you called, I needed to get over there for "therapy." You're a man of ingenuity. I wouldn't have had the brains to rig up 1/100th what you've done. I'd sure love to have the benefit of your expertise when it comes time to FINALLY get my sugarhouse and system set up.

I hope it's a better day!
- Tim

brookledge
04-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Boiled more in the last week than I did all season. At least I will salvage the season. I'm at.4gal per tap now but looks like the end is in sight. Going to boil again tomorrow
Keith

maple2
04-08-2014, 06:56 AM
All tanks were full monday morning! Wheel berring went in the 1 ton on sunday. Made 11 trips in my poor pickup with a 425gal. tank Maybe $100 in gas