PDA

View Full Version : Finally a decent run

seclark
04-01-2014, 12:34 PM
I tapped the last day of February and as of yesterday only collected 5 gallons if that of sap.I only put in 10 taps just to test the runs but today as soon as I tapped, the sap was running decent.Hopefully this is the start of something good.Good luck to everyone and hope your year is good:-|

John c
04-01-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm only a 25 tap guy and yesterday it started gushing for me. Today is also great which I anticipated, so I went out early and put in another 10 taps just to try and catch up on sap. So far it was worth putting in the extra 10 taps!
Good luck...

SPILEDRIVER
04-01-2014, 02:20 PM
must be the elevation.......im just below you john and mine were as dry as a bone yesterday..didnt check them today as i was busy finishying up my sap from the weekend...hopefully ive got some in the morning....had a few decent runs and im at 5 gals so far....good enough for the familly but far below my normal 20/25 gallons....wont be selling any this year

highlandcattle
04-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Yes we finally got a good run. Snow in the open is going quick. Our woods are cold so hoping for a few more days. We're at 1,200 ft above the the Mohawk river.

bowtie
04-01-2014, 04:11 PM
I have 300 buckets and got around 230 gallons yesterday and they were running like crazy when I collected, I had to dump so out around 11 am because I had not gotten to them since last week and by 7 pm most were 3/4 full and some were overflowing in 6-7 hours. I am busy boiling today but am sure I will have biggest run of season to collect tomorrow. After that it may well be done the weather looks bad, warm, and would guess by this weekend most trees will be pushing buds.

John c
04-01-2014, 04:55 PM
must be the elevation.......im just below you john and mine were as dry as a bone yesterday..didnt check them today as i was busy finishying up my sap from the weekend...hopefully ive got some in the morning....had a few decent runs and im at 5 gals so far....good enough for the familly but far below my normal 20/25 gallons....wont be selling any this year
Hey spiledriver, yes it must be the elevation. I'm not sure how much I've gotten this year so far because I have been saving all of my "almost syrup", so I can hopefully just finish once (my guess is around 3 gals). I am not a fan of filtering and/or clean up, so I prefer doing it just once.
Good luck!