PDA

View Full Version : Manual Draw Off Temps?

binski
04-01-2014, 07:07 AM
This is my first year with continuous flow and a manual draw off. I have a digital thermometer by my draw off valve and will use that and my hydrometer to determine when to draw off, but I am not sure when to stop drawing. I've read that when the temp starts to drop, stop drawing until the temp gets back up. How much should I let the temp drop before stopping the draw? Advice is appreciated. :confused:
Thanks

DaveB
04-01-2014, 09:50 AM
This is my first year with continuous flow and a manual draw off. I have a digital thermometer by my draw off valve and will use that and my hydrometer to determine when to draw off, but I am not sure when to stop drawing. I've read that when the temp starts to drop, stop drawing until the temp gets back up. How much should I let the temp drop before stopping the draw? Advice is appreciated. :confused:
Thanks

I'm using a auto drawoff this year but in the past I've done it manually. For my location I would start drawing off at 220° and stopping at 219° at which point my temp. would normally drop below that so I'd know that my drawoff was above the syrup temp.

I'd also use a hydrometer on my first drawoff to validate the days drawoff temperature. About halfway through the day, I'd also test all the syrup that I've drawn off as one collection to verify it's density. If it's running too thin or thick I can adjust accordingly.

unc23win
04-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Your thinking is right. It all depends on how big the evaporator how deep you run your pans and what the hydrometer says. When I boiled on a smaller evaporator as soon as temp went down any I would close the valve. Check before and after drawing with hydrometer a few times to make sure you have the draw off temp right then go with it and then start each day the same way.

psparr
04-01-2014, 12:35 PM
http://youtu.be/KALDSv8QPvc

Heres a video of what I do.

I get to syrup and check the temp. I set the digital thermometer to alarm at that temp.
I crack the draw valve and slowly stream the syrup off. Adjusting the valve to maintain that temp.