PDA

View Full Version : Smokylake Pan in Vermont???

Floyd4th
04-01-2014, 04:47 AM
just wondering if there is anyone with a set of jims pans in or around southern Vermont. I am thinking of replacing my existing set of 4'x10' pans with a new set from him. i have read nothing but great things about him and his work, i just would like to see a set with my own eyes(not that i am doubting all the great things i've heard) just want to make the right decision before spending the $$$$$. also i am looking at his reverse flow syrup pan. has anyone had any experience with them? Good?, Bad? things that might need changing? just curious how it all works. the pans i have now are reversable paralell flow Leader that my father aquired used in 1988 (think its time to upgrade:))

tuckermtn
04-15-2014, 09:03 PM
sorry, missed this one earlier...yes I have a set of Jim's pans - raised flu 2.5 x 5.5 and two (plus spare) 2.5 x 15" crossflow front pans. excellent craftsmanship. I have given jim some feedback on a few float box issues I had this year - and he plans to make corrections. They boil very well...

you are welcome to come take a look at the pans anytime - I am 1.5 hrs. from Brattleboro - not sure where in S. Vermont you are.

killingworthmaple
04-16-2014, 05:25 AM
I have a set of 2x6 smokylake pans I bought last year, I am in CT but you are welcome to take a look if you want to make the drive. I would be willing to fire up the rig for you and you can watch it boil. I have a raised flue with cross flow front pan and the draw off is closest to the flue pan. I have lots of pictures and and video of the pans if you email or text me I can send them to you or call me and we can talk.

Nathan
860-604-8115
nthhea@aol.com

mike z
04-16-2014, 12:45 PM
I recently got a set of S.L. pans. I've had very good luck with mine this season. The floats work well for me, and my head tank is barely above the float box. I did need to make some adjustments to the opening in the back, for better air flow, I had too much insulation. My 2x8.5' does 55 on a traditional arch (no preheat, no air). I think with a few more tweaks I should be able to get to 60 g. without to much difficulty. Just like Jim said I would.

SapZilla
04-17-2014, 07:15 PM
I try to never miss an opportunity to brag about the pans I just got from Smoky Lake last fall. They are terrific in their design and craftsmanship. Its also nice that I can count on outstanding service from jim or Angela every time I call. There are a lot of good pan manufacturers, but smoky Lake will forever be the choice for me. If every American cared as much about their work as them, my what a great country this would be.

Dick

killingworthmaple
04-17-2014, 09:02 PM
What was the float box issue?

Nathan

tuckermtn
04-18-2014, 06:20 AM
we had issues with the float box between the flu pan and the front cross flow pans. No way to positively (i.e. with a valve or plug) shut off the flow in to the float box. We had several situations where we would shut down for the night and the next morning we would find the float box very full and near overflowing. we eventually rigged up a plug from my old Grimm distrubution box and put it on a long piece of wire to reach plug in from inside the flu pan.

Also not sure I am a fan of having the flow coming from near the bottom of the flu pan (Grimm I used to have had fittings that would draw from near the top of the liquid level in flu pan) as we found we had to be very vigilant in cleaning the float box because of so much sediment/sand frigging up the float functioning in the box.

Jim is committed to fixing it...

SapZilla
04-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Also not sure I am a fan of having the flow coming from near the bottom of the flu pan (Grimm I used to have had fittings that would draw from near the top of the liquid level in flu pan) as we found we had to be very vigilant in cleaning the float box because of so much sediment/sand frigging up the float functioning in the box

Yes, but having the sap exit the bottom of the flue pan makes the float box much more responsive to replenishing liquid in the front pan while drawing off as you have the full depth of the sap as head pressure. The older pans had the sap exit up high probably because the transfer float box was unable to hold back the head pressure. Your new pan is built properly. I have the same design on mine, love it. It automatically seals tight at the end of the day. Sounds like yours might just have to have the gasket replaced or looked at? I would send it in for jim to take a look? He is good about paying your shipping back and forth. I have several products from jim, he stands my all of them.