PDA

View Full Version : wiring a braker for a RO

bairdswift
03-31-2014, 06:41 PM
Need to hook my deer run maple RO up to power and thought I would wire direct with its own breaker. Ray said it's 230 volt. I got a 30 amp breaker, will this work?.what wires go where? Sugar house has its own meeter and a 100 amp main braker.Should I not attempt this my self? Have basic know how but that's about it.Need help fast.... sap comming here in VT.

KevinS
03-31-2014, 07:31 PM
with the information you provided. that could be to big or too small or correct. also is your thirty amp breaker a 2 pole breaker or a single pole breaker? since you did say the unit is wired for 230/220 then you need a 2 pole breaker for it.
You did not say what amps are required for the unit.. That will be on the tag somewhere.
you need a 3 conductor ( plus ground, some places this is called bond) the white is the neutral just like in 110 wiring. the black and red go to the breaker. which pole the red and black go to on the breaker is of no importance.

KevinS
03-31-2014, 07:34 PM
IF! it requires 30 amps then you need #10 wire of three conductors.

PerryW
03-31-2014, 07:42 PM
yup, you need a 30 amp dual breaker and buy some 10/3 Romex w/ ground. When you pull the cover off the panel you will see all the White going to one bar. Look for an empty lug and hook your white wire (neutral) there. Then you will see all the bare (ground) wires on another bar, hook your bare wire there. Then (as Kevin said) hook you Red wire to one screw on your breaker and the Black to the other screw on the Breaker.

maple flats
03-31-2014, 07:43 PM
The 30 A double pole breaker will be fine. You must use 10 ga. if under 100' of wire and 8 ga if over 100'. If you don't have the breaker yet, check the name plate first. I almost think I used a 20A double pole. If the FLA (full load amps) are under 10, then a 20 will do. You need the extra for the starting surge. I think the FLA were 9.5. If I'm remembering correctly use the 20A and then you can use 12 ga. wire up to 100' and 10 ga if longer.
Did the RO come wired or are you converting from a gas powered? If it is pre wired, just open the large electric box (something like 8" x8", if it's like mine). Inside you will have2 HD terminals to connect to, they will get the 2 hot legs, usually a black and a red, it doesn't matter which, either/or). Then you will have a white wire, it should be connected to another HD terminal with all whites tied to it. The last is a ground wire, that connects to the terminal where all bare or green wires is connected. If doing this with just 3 wires (that's OK too) connect the red and black as above and the ground to the grounds, you do not need a white technically. The terminals for the red and black were HD screws with a clamp under them to hold the wires in place. If you are converting from gas, there is too much to give you the specifics and you should get an electrician, maybe barter for syrup.

KevinS
03-31-2014, 09:04 PM
The 30 A double pole breaker will be fine. You must use 10 ga. if under 100' of wire and 8 ga if over 100'. If you don't have the breaker yet, check the name plate first. I almost think I used a 20A double pole. If the FLA (full load amps) are under 10, then a 20 will do. You need the extra for the starting surge. I think the FLA were 9.5. If I'm remembering correctly use the 20A and then you can use 12 ga. wire up to 100' and 10 ga if longer.
Did the RO come wired or are you converting from a gas powered? If it is pre wired, just open the large electric box (something like 8" x8", if it's like mine). Inside you will have2 HD terminals to connect to, they will get the 2 hot legs, usually a black and a red, it doesn't matter which, either/or). Then you will have a white wire, it should be connected to another HD terminal with all whites tied to it. The last is a ground wire, that connects to the terminal where all bare or green wires is connected. If doing this with just 3 wires (that's OK too) connect the red and black as above and the ground to the grounds, you do not need a white technically. The terminals for the red and black were HD screws with a clamp under them to hold the wires in place. If you are converting from gas, there is too much to give you the specifics and you should get an electrician, maybe barter for syrup.
Good, I am glad you pointed it out. I got back on to point out needing bigger wire for longer runs. :) I had planned on mentioning it and then forgot to.

bairdswift
03-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Thanx for the tips. The breaker I got is a double 30amp. My RO came all wired with a 6ft cord and I should be able to make that work. Breaker box is in RO room. Ill use tips and try to copy what is there. Ill also shut off main breaker before I start.

maple flats
04-01-2014, 04:43 AM
Read the info on the cord it came with. It will likely be lighter gauge. If 14 ga or even 16 ga. you would be better protected with a 20A breaker, since that will be a dedicated circuit.

Floyd4th
04-01-2014, 04:56 AM
I agree with everything said previously, except i would wire it with a plug in the wall like a cloths dryer or range. that way at the end of the year you can unplug it an move it around(tip it side to side and front to back) to get all the water out of it, so there will be absolutely no worries of it freezing during the cold off-season months or the chance of growing any bacteria during the warm months.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-01-2014, 05:22 AM
You can only load the cord to 80% of its current (amperage) value. For #12 that's 16A, #10 is 26A, #14 is 11A,