PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt "Improved" Barrel Evaporator Question

cpaq88
03-31-2014, 10:20 AM
This is my first upgrade from a propane turkey fryer. I did the first boil with it last weekend but only achieved abut 1.5 gph with the plain barrel. Being an engineer, this was not acceptable. So I tried to use recommendations I found on here. I had a buddy weld a shelf/baffle in. The only problem is he welded it an inch higher than I asked. Can't complain since it was free! But.... The problem is after I put one inch of ceramic blanket and splits on top, it's only going to leave me about an inch of head space between the bottom of the pan and the brick. Any recommendations?

One way or another I'm firing it up this weekend, the saps flowing good now. Got 15 taps in, 20 gallons each of the last two days.

95179518951995209521[ATTACH=CONFIG]

psparr
03-31-2014, 10:39 AM
How wide between the insulation? You might just be good.

optionguru
03-31-2014, 12:06 PM
Was it windy out when you boiled. I would think outside with those tall sides you would get a lot of heat loss through the sides of the pan. Maybe some insulation?

TerryEspo
03-31-2014, 12:07 PM
If your stack pipe is 6" I think your fine too. Leave it as is.
If your pipe is 7" or 8", I would leave the blanket and remove the bricks.

You will be fine, nice looking rig!!

Good luck

cpaq88
03-31-2014, 12:26 PM
With just the insulation, its about a 2" gap. With the brick on top, its about 3/4"-1". The stack diameter is 6". I was worried with only 3/4" - 1" I wouldn't be able to get sufficient draft. But I guess I need to fire it up and give it try. I could also try with just the blanket, but was unsure how it would hold up without brick overtop.

The day I did my first boil was around a 5mph wind, maybe some gusts. But was very cold (10-15F). That part of it slipped my mind, but perhaps thats part of my problem. Any recommendations for insulating the pan edges?

cpaq88
04-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Finished adding the firebrick and did the first test boil. Even with the inch of clearance it worked great! Achieved a full boil from cold sap in 10 minutes and a sustained a rolling boil. Excited to do a big boil this weekend now! Sap is running good now. Averaging around 1.5 -2 gallons per tap per day.

lyford
04-03-2014, 08:55 AM
i run a set up very similar to yours, if it were me i'd add more air (bigger holes or a fan) and are you burning on a grate?

cpaq88
04-03-2014, 10:15 AM
i run a set up very similar to yours, if it were me i'd add more air (bigger holes or a fan) and are you burning on a grate?

I haven't got a grate for it yet, but I've been planning on it. Does it make a big difference? I have a small house fan I can set up in front of it, I might give that a try if I need it.

lyford
04-03-2014, 10:27 AM
it will definitely will make a difference, you'll get better combustion. Even without a fan having a grate allows air to move up through the fire and will give you a hotter fire. On my barrel I used the bottom for my door end and cut out a half moon shape section as large as i could under the door, I also removed the sliding section (that opens and closes the holes just under the door) so that it allows as much air in as possible. My pan is 21" by 35", and I do 5gph on average, and 6-6.5 gph when i'm really pushing it. I know i was getting less than 4gph before i put the grate in, but i also had smaller holes letting air in then as well. Good luck man, and have fun!

optionguru
04-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Lyford is dead on, I didn't notice the lack of a grate earlier. I use a grate and this year changed it around so the air came in from under the fire/grate. Brought my average stack temp up 125 degrees.

dblact38
04-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Hey goodluck nice rig I used unistrut on the bottom of my barrel with wire mesh on top of it works great no interference with air flow Happy Boiling

cpaq88
04-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll pick up a grate this afternoon before I start my weekend boil.

cpaq88
04-06-2014, 10:35 AM
How do you guys deal with ember buildup in the bottom? After a few hours it builds up and restricts airflow. Am I not giving it enough air? Thanks!

Jonnyp390
04-06-2014, 03:28 PM
How do you guys deal with ember buildup in the bottom? After a few hours it builds up and restricts airflow. Am I not giving it enough air? Thanks!

I put a layer of split bricks in the middle of the bottom layer of the firebox, so that the 2" hole in the door is not bocked. Every time I add wood (10-15 min), I use a long skinny piece of wood to poke and clear out the embers under the fire grate. I keep a long metal tray (bread loaf pan) on the ground underneath the door to the evaporator filled with water. I keep the "poker" stick soaking in the water so it doesn't catch on fire when I poke with it, and the water puts out any embers that fall out of the open door (my barrel evap runs best with the door open).