PDA

View Full Version : Storage

Maple Dan
03-31-2014, 09:24 AM
I am a batch boiler with a very busy none flexible work schedule. Being in Eastern Ontario it appears we may get our first real good run this week. I would be able to boil Wed, Thursday night but would probably not finish. If I was to leave the partially boiled syrup in my one pan and the nights did not get to warm, how long would it keep? I would not be able to get back to it until the following Wed. Sounds like a long time to me, but I know some of the big guys keep the partially boiled for a while.

psparr
03-31-2014, 09:33 AM
I don't have the best answer but if your worried about it. Freeze some water jugs and throw them in the evaporator.

sg5054
03-31-2014, 10:38 AM
I have kept partially done syrup in clean 5 gallon buckets with a lid for week. As long as it stays cold I have no worries. A side benefit is that the niter settles out while it sits. I just did this last week. Boiled on the 22nd and finished it yesterday. 6.5 gallons of "A Amber Rich".

Big_Eddy
03-31-2014, 10:47 AM
If I was to leave the partially boiled syrup in my one pan and the nights did not get to warm, how long would it keep?.

A few considerations
Temperature - if it's going below zero and staying there (not this week in Eastern Ont) you can leave it in the pan indefinitely.
Concentration - the closer it is to syrup, the longer it will last. Full syrup will last a long time unrefrigerated. Raw sap, not so long.
Procedure - if you flood your pan after it cools with your remaining sap, then the added sap was not boiled and sterilized, and the whole qty will spoil faster.
Quantity - If you have less than 5 gallons in your pan, why not pour it off into a pot / bucket and stick it in your freezer.

I leave my evaporator full when it's cold, but I've lost syrup in the past, so I try to limit to 2-3 days during warm spell.