PDA

View Full Version : all dark syrup this year.

bowtie
03-31-2014, 08:46 AM
I have made 14 1/2 gallons so far and it has all been dark amber, not sure if it just the year or what? another thing that is weird is all my sap smells funny when boiling to me, not to anyone else. ever since I boiled a batch of sap that had gone metabolic I have not been able to boil and not detect that odor. sap is good and syrup is fine but no matter what I smell that what I refer to a fishy smell from the steam. I get quite paranoid and am always having my wife, kids or father smell the steam and they all say it is smells like maple syrup but still am worried about it. I never keep sap for more than a couple days unless it frozen and then still usually dump it unless I can boil within a couple days. not sure what is going on, maybe just me or the trees not sure but it seems unusual to me. I tap a lot of reds but can't think this the issue. besides the one batch two years ago I have never made any bad syrup.

maple flats
03-31-2014, 12:26 PM
I made just 16 gal Medium, and 65 gal dark so far. I think much of that can be attributed to shorter boils because I haven't had enough sap to have a long boil.

highlandcattle
03-31-2014, 12:53 PM
Yeah finally!it's a gusher! Ron's hard work of putting in the wet/dry line paid off. Oh please let this keep up And fill the bulk tank.....

heus
03-31-2014, 02:04 PM
I usually make light and medium but this year has all been dark or grade B. Fine with me that's what most people around here prefer.

stoweski
03-31-2014, 02:27 PM
Want to trade? I've only made light. 20 gallons of it so far. It's becoming a disappointment when I draw off and it's light when I check it.

Russell Lampron
03-31-2014, 06:57 PM
Others around me are making dark syrup too. All of my 55 1/2 gallons have been medium except for 5 gallons of borderline dark.

wagnerppw
04-02-2014, 12:38 PM
We've made 10 gallons so far - grade A dark and delicious. Yesterday we had our biggest sap run so far - over 300 gallons! (Really really good for us). Ran it thru the RO and will boil it after work tonight.

Riverdale
04-02-2014, 01:43 PM
about 15 gallons of medium and 40+ dark table grade to date. Excellent flavor and no sugar sand..yet?