PDA

View Full Version : Replacing metal

JET
01-04-2007, 10:51 AM
I want to replace all the metal on my Small Bros. Lightning evaporator, not really a difficult job, but don't know the correct gage to use. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
JET

Dave Y
01-04-2007, 05:33 PM
I replaced the tin on an arch and I used 18 ga galvinized

brookledge
01-04-2007, 06:05 PM
If you want to replace it as it was measure the thickness with a micrometer or just take a piece of it to where you purchase your sheet metal. They will convert the measurement to the appropriate guage.
Or if you want tell me the thickness in thousandths and I'll tell you the guage
Also you may want to consider pricing out stainless if you are going to keep the arch for a while.
Keith

Fred Henderson
01-04-2007, 06:10 PM
18 gage galv is usually the norm for them.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Go stainless if you can, a little more initial but a ton of savings in the long run.

Sugarmaker
01-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Jet,
I agree with Brandon. Go with the stainless if you can. " You will like the way you look". :)
No future rust out issues for your or a good selling advantage if you are going to sell or trade up.
I used salvaged sheets of stainless from Dari Kool bulk milk tanks. (See my pic's on web site)
Make sure you consider the insulation blanket between the new skin and the bricks, to keep the sides of the fire box like new.

Chris

JET
01-04-2007, 06:49 PM
I knew someone would have an answer, I considered stainless but i'm concerned about being able to bend it as easily as plain sheet metal. { making the bends w/ a homemade brake- 2 pcs. angle iron w/ hinges.}
I hate making syrup... it's almost addictive as chew & I quit that 2 days ago, wish me luck w/ that. thanks,
JET
Central NY

Fred Henderson
01-04-2007, 06:53 PM
You don't have to use 18 ga SS. Get something that you can handle. 22 ga will work.